Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Catching A Critter

I've been waking up the past few morning and have noticed some of my corals knocked over ! I finally found the critter last night when the lights were out it's a crab that is causint me soo much aggrivation... How do you catch a crab without effecting any of my fish in the tank? I want him outta here :guns:

You could try a trap! What type of crab is it? If he's slow then just put some food out in the open once the lights are out and try to catch him with a net!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Ha!!! There's no such thing as a "slow crab"!!
    You can try leaning a drinking glass against the rock at an angle and lalce a piece of food in it at the bottom tonight. Crabs will want the food and climb in, but they can't climb back up the smooth glass so they get stuck in there. Usually works great!!... but use glass though as it's much smoother..

Great idea Toutouche !! and yup piatchie it's FAST ! I noticed last night one of my corals on a bit of an angle and thought thats wierd so I picked it up and to my surprise the kulprit (crab) ran accross the rock and into its cave... I took my flashlight out and of course low and behold his pinchers were there, little bugger!! The glass is a great idea I'll put some shrimp in there and see what comes of it.. Hopefully a crab!!

Place it near his cave since you know where he hides out. This way it won't take him long to find the treasure!! Don't use a glass that is too small though and don't angle it too much. Just enough so that it leans on a rock.

So did you catch it yet?
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

Nope last night he knocked down one of my acro's and left the others alone but I will be trying again tonight... I looked again last night with the flashlight but this time didn't see the culprit at all.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll be in the glass tomorrow morning.. I'm tellin ya, if he was big enough I would be eating him and enjoying every bite !!

Well I finally did it !! I was about to go to sleep when I took my flashlight and did a quick scan of the tank to see if the crab was out for his regular stroll and sure enough I spotted him and beleive it or not put my hand in the tank and grabbed him like Mr. Miagi catching a fly with his chop sticks

My wife liked him so she's not got a new crab for her tank since she doesn't have many corals in there for it to knock over.. What a strong guy though as soon as I put him in her tank he actually started to move the rocks.

:thumb: Glad you finally got him.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

get us a pic!!
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast