Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mandarin - Psychedelic

Mandarin - Psychedelic

Hi about this fish I know it has to eat copod and stuff like that could they live with the live food sold here
    Z- Combo Pack
    Rotifers L Type
    Phytoplankton

I can`t seem to find the info I need on the web. I also want to know what is the suggested size aquarium for there' I heard formm 30g to 100g minimum, so its knda vage.
    25g Reef

ijo
    They love copods... expect ReefCrew to start offering this very soon(end of October).

A few sites say 30 gallons... I recommend a 90 and even with that I've seen problems without a Fuge. If your copods don't have a place where they can reproduce without the threat of being eaten... I think you will eventually starve the mandarin.

I'm looking forward to those copods from ReefCrew... I'll be posting info on availability as soon as I find out.

IJO

mandarin

I've kepted a MANDARIN[A.K.A DRAGONETTE] in my ninety.
    after around 6 to 8 months he started to starve as they eat pod constantly. I even had a refugium inline! I personally think even a ninety is borderline. If you can replenish pods with live orders great. You can also make pod piles[small rock piles of rubble] and this might help. Some people are luck that the MANDARIN will take frozen MYSIS but thats very rare.

The tank that I have mandarins in is a 90 gallon but has a 30 gallon refugium below it. It also has a 20 gallon refugium above the tank that is gravity fed down into the reef. By gravity feeding the upper refugium down into your reef the critters can flow out the (side drilled) return line freely and not be chopped up in a pump. If you do this, you will have cope's and other critters all over your reef. I have 3 mandarins int he 90 and two of them have been there for over 8 months. At night, the crushed coral bed and LR in the 90 are just covered in critters.

Essentially you just pump water from your lower refugium up to the top refugium and that one just gravity feeds down into your reef. Makes for easy feeding of all you livestock.

Here's a quick sketch of the system....not to scale of course...Refugium #1 and DSB with fine sand )southdown) and Refugium #2 has a 50/50 bed of Crush coral and southdown about 2 inches deep. Also in Refugium #2 there is a 4 inch deep bed of LR Rubble. The macro grows through the rubble. I find the pods love the rubble (1 inch pieces). I just used base rock and crushed it up to rubble with a sledge hammer....it'll get seeded by the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails  Mandarin - Psychedelic-refugiumsetup.jpg  
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

mouse

what pump are you using? Is it off of your main return pump or are you using a seperate one? I'm hooking up my 25g refugium this week sometime and will also leave some live rock in my 55g sump.we have almost identical setups! I have a 90g tank,55g sump and now a 25g refugium above tank.

I just use a MAG18 from my main sump/refugium up to the higher refugium....it's alot of flow which is another reason I don't have fine sand in the higher refugium....works great for me. The high flow also makes sure the little pods etc get washed into the reef once ina while.

I love the set up adn if I can keep 3 mandarins in a 90 for as long as I have, I would say it is working.

I think the key is the LR rubble and pieces of LR in the higher refugium. They love it and just race around them all night.

:guns: :gun3: :cop:
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

i feed my mandarin live rottifers and he love them also i got plenty of pods from my refugium and i intend to feed him some copepods when i receive them

I'm trying to get the mandarin that my brother in law has in his 140g tank but it's a nightmare trying to catch it with all the LR he has....and it's slowly starving itself by the looks of things. I have pods in my tank and from what I found out earlier...maybe a couple flat worms also. But I did read that they will eat flatworms also so I'm still hoping for that lucky catch when he's not looking.
    Cheers

It's hit and miss with the mandarin eating flatworms. Some will and some won't....just to keep in mind.

Not all Mandarins will eat Flatworms. The type that does is the Target ( or Spotted) Mandarin. It is the one with the circles and has the greyish background. The Psychadelic type ( dark green with the Paisley pattern) doesn't eat Flatworms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast