Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone with brown cyno on sandbed?

hey guys, just wondering if anyone else here from the ottawa area is dealing with a brown cyno
    type stuff on their dsb? I have 2 different systems with this stuff and the only common thing really between the 2 are the tap water i've been using here. A fellow reefer friend who lives in ottawa east is dealing with the same thing. Hi tank is approaching 2 years and mine is almost a year. This stuff has been around for about 3-4 months. Tried increasing water flow, adding hermits, and now just recently started using distilled water. Starting to think its something in the tap water here in ottawa region. Anyone else?

Re: anyone with brown cyno on sandbed?

I have the same issue.  Not exactly sure what to do about it.

i'm hoping that by now switching to distilled water that it will make a difference. I'm almost positive its not from the light spectrum as its a prob on both tanks one with halide and the other
    with pc lighting. I also do not overfeed, have tested for phosphate etc...got to beat this!

JeffD

If it's definitely cyano type slime it is a bacterial problem. I've dosed my reef with a erythromiacin treatment successfully. You have to use caution and avoid completely killing off your bacterial flora.
    True Perc

bacteria..hmm. any thoughts as to what could be causing this? The only source of bacteria import i can think of may have been from the "stagnent" water that i would have sitting in a large rubbermaid at one point. I would notice when i removed my mj1200 from the container it
    and the cord would be pretty slimy. I've since changed from using the roughneck type garbage can to a white food grade 55 gallon drum..Just in the last few days i've also added a powerhead
    (other than the mj1200 for pumping) as well as a fluval canister filter with carbon to keep the water in the top off storage tank moving. That combined with recently switching over to distilled water am hoping will make an improvement. I have noticed that i have some rust entering the tank due to the metal bracing i installed along the top of the the tank due to the previous owner of the tank removing the large centerbrace from the molded trim with a dremel. I've read that
    rust entering into a marine system can\will promote algae so i will be addressing that in the form of a clean up and seal all the metal project tomorrow a.m....I have my doubts that this "rust" issue is the root cause of the brown crap because as i said in my original post, i'm seeing the same brown crap in my 25g nano which has no rust entering into the water. The only common denominator so to speak between the 2 systems is top off from the tap which as i've said i've changed only recently. This brown crap on my sand is starting to get to me I'm planning a.s.a.p to purchase a brand new tank to replace this bad buy i made.

Now I'm not a fan of chemicals, but SLIMEAWAY works on this stuff.  I had small bits of it but with filter changes in my R/O and increased waterflow they went away.  Remember, no matter what treatment you use, this is bacteria, and not any sort of organis (algae growth).  Slimeaway got rid of my red cyano once before with great success.

Good to see the board come to life again.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

thanks for the info mouse. I am almost at the point of trying a product as you mentioned. I will
    probably try a few large water changes with the new water i'm using as a last attempt. I "think"
    i'm seeing a bit of a decrease of the brown crap in my 25g probably due to such a smaller volume of water that the new water supply is making a difference quicker.

thanks, Jeff

Jeff, You are not alone. I too have the same problem. I've switched to RO water about a month ago, and increased the number of power heads, to no avail. I don't know what to do about it either. Bacteria eh? hummm : i'm running a 60 gal., with a fluval 403, 2 x 802's, plus 3 maxi jets, 1 x 1200, 1 x 600, 1 x 400.

Try this link guys....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157323&highligh t=brown+cyano
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

great reference mouse.... now I gotta spend the next couple hours reading it.  :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast