Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additives

Additives

What additives do you add to reef tanks and by what company?
    Is it worth adding all the components separately? or just to get those combined ones? (All-in-one)
    i am currently using the ESV B-ionic, ESV Iodide, ESV Magnesium, and ESC Strontium.
    They are almost empty and i want to know if its the best one to use andi should get it again, or switch to SeaChem or Kent Marine, or anyone else which may be better or easier. One guy told me that ESV is too strong and i should use Kent Marine, but i dont see why i would want to switch to a lower level and i also see that SeaChem's reef complete and those have many in one which makes for less work.
    your opinions?

Personelly I only use B-ionic and once in a while iodine
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

CAT
    I've used Seachem Reef Complete, Reef Calcium (more like a food), and Reef builder or Reef Carbonate (for alk) for several years. They've worked well for me and they're pretty inexpensive.

I used to use B-ionic but never got it to raise calcium -just seems to keep it at the same levels. Also, more expensive.

HTH
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

I'll agree with Cat about the SeaChem products. For example, the Reef Calcium also has Strontium & Magnesium in it at the right proportions to what is found in the wild. Right there, you'd be cutting down on expenses.
    There is also the Ecosystem brand line of products. I just got a bottle of something called "Reef Solutions" yesterday as a trial sample and from what I gathered, it is like a multivitamin additive and it says that all you have to add is Calcium seperately. Anyways, no comment on how good it is as I don't know if it makes a difference yet. I'm told by people who have used it that the coals like it so I'm assuming it is more of a filter feeding type additive.
    What you add to your tank also varies greatly with what you are keeping in it.

CAT, at what level was ESV keeping your calcium. it keeps mine at 350 which is good. i would think its a good thing that it doesnt raise it too high, it saves you from overdosing.

With SeaChem's products, you wouldnt need to add phytoplankton or other filter foods? Which ones would you put together? i thought reef complete has calcium in it?

CAT
    Originally posted by ALRHA
    CAT, at what level was ESV keeping your calcium. it keeps mine at 350 which is good. i would think its a good thing that it doesnt raise it too high, it saves you from overdosing.

The B-Ionic worked well enough at maintaining the calcium and alk but if the calcium dropped then I'd have to add an extra calcium product anyway to bring it up.

With SeaChem's products, you wouldnt need to add phytoplankton or other filter foods? Which ones would you put together? i thought reef complete has calcium in it?
    Reef Complete just has Calcium, Mag, and strontium. I use Spray dried phyto for feeding. The 'Reef Calcium' is another Seachem product I dose that's meant to provide bio-calcium - it doesn't raise the calcium but provide Calcium 'food' for the fire shrimp and coral skeletons.

HTH
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Cool, i didnt know that there was a difference in the calciums.
    p.s. i assume calcium is what keeps Alkalinity up? my last test showed calcium at 350 but alkalinity at only 2.

Alhra,
    As for the Calcium and Alkilinity, the Cal doesn't really bring up the Alk itself. Usually there are buffers for that. BUT, water chemistry is still young to me also so I'll let someone else get into the specifics I'm still learning this as well.

Remember that you want to try and achieve an ionic equilibrium between the ALK and Calcium or else you will be see sawing back and forth and it will get stressful for your animals.
    To be in balance you should aim for the following:

Calcium = 425ppm - Alkalinity = 11.2 dkH
    Calcium = 450ppm - Alkalinity = 12.6 dKH
    Calcium = 460ppm - Alkalinity = 14 dKH

If you can target these levels it will be much easier to keep them there.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

sounds good, i'll try my best!
    thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast