Weird Bubble-Growths on Birdsnest

Hi -
    Just saw this tonight on my frag of pink w/purple birdsnest - anybody know what this could be? I'm a little concerned.

Here's a close-up of the action - can't quite tell if the "bubbles" are hard or soft:

Ca = 370 / Alk = 7.5 dkH / Salinity = 1.026 / Temp = 81. All other corals look normal. Any useful input is appreciated.

Thanks!
    - Alan

Geez!! That's a nice frag!! Hope you keep it in top shape!!
    As to the bubbles, it's kind of hard to say with those pics. Can you get a closer clear pic of it? At first, I would say regrettably it might be brown jelly disease, but I haven't really heard of this on SPS type corals..., usually it's on LPS more. Do the bubbles look like they are very soft? Do they move somewhat in the durrent or are they hard. Jelly disease is very soft and you would see this as it moves. If it is hard, then perhaps something has attached and made a cocoon or shell and will grow into something. It doesn't look like Vermitiid snails though. Your Alk and Calcium is somewhat low and this might in turn be stressing out this coral and causing those bumps..., hard to say though. Keep us updated on how they develop.

Thanks Toutouche, I hope I can keep it as well. I've had SPS for only a few months, and am having challenges maintaining consistent levels with a kalk drip. Seems if I over-do it, the corals start to close up (esp. the LPS), then I back off a for a week or so, add some straight RO for top-up, then suddenly not careful enough again, and this happens...

Might be a little while before I get this figured out. Without a sump and reactor, I have to pay close attention to my little drip jug... about 2 gallons a day on 110 gallon tank. Only a light SPS load...

Oh, and I re-tested my Alk, it's really only 6.5 dkH... ...shoot.
    - Alan

aer you adding any buffers as well as kalk?
    I don't know if you want to or are able to, but if you can, try touching the lump- I'd like to know if it is completely soft or are there any bits of hard chrystalline stuff inside.
    that alk is low...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I had the exact same thing hapen to my catspaw quite often when I had it in my 90g. never caused any problems. just came and went like a cyst.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Do a search for "blisters" on RC.
    I've seen this mentioned in a thread recently in the SPS forum I think.

Seems to be due to stress.

What's your lighting?

Also, you should raise your calcium to the 400 range as 370 is a tad low.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks all,

I'll work on the numbers - slowly. Last time I was eager to bump up the Ca and Alk, my tank did not appreciate it...

Lighting is 400W Radiums. Frag has been doing very well until yesterday when I noticed this.
    - Alan

the reason why i asked about whether the lumps are soft or have sand like particles in them is because sometimes when you dose too many buffers and supplements at once, some corals' growth patterns can be disrupted and they stop laying down new skeleton properly- it just forms all of these crystalline bits under the skin instead of proper skeleton. Once the additions are regulated and the coral has a chance to recover, it begins to grow normally again. I don't know if this happened here, but it was my suspicion
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I see what you mean. No, only kalk lately - and the bubbles are almost completely transparent, from the closest view I can get with a magnifier. Nothing inside them that I can see.

I am dosing baking soda now though - for a few days or a week - to bring Alk up slowly in conjunction with the kalk. I need to test my water more often...
    - Alan