Thread: cowfish

cowfish

I bought a cowfish two months ago, it was no more than 1/2" in either direction. The fish haas probably tripled in size since then. What I wanted to know is how big will it grow in a year, and what size will it eventually reach? I've heard alot of diifferent opinions on how large they get. And last, how do they do in a community environment?

Thanx

They can get pretty big! Up to 16"! Check out the link:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p....cfm?pCatId=68

They can also release toxin in the water that can wipe out your whole tank if they get stressed or die. Keep your eyes on him. If he gets too big for your tank you need to be extremly carful not to stress him when you try to catch him!!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I'm not sure how accurate that size claim from live aquaria is. It is by itself in my 30g refugium right now. i don't think i could ever get rid of it. It is looking great, and it has ten times the personality of any other fish I've seen. I'm scared my refugium is going to end up bigger than my main tank.

I know what you mean! Ithink they are the coolest fishtoo! Unfortunetly they do get pretty big, preety fast! If you don't want to give him up I would make plans for a bigger tank to put him in. He willl eventually grow out of that one!

I was going to get a Box Fish a while back. The LFS got one in that was only the size of your thumb nail! He was the cuttest thing! After I did a little research though I decided that I wouldn't be able to keep him happy for very long so I decided not to get him. Besides the whole "Toxic" thing kinda scared me a bit too!

Best of luck! I'm sure he'll be fine for a while but eventually I think he will get to big for a 30gal. You've already seen how fast these guys can grow!!!

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

When I got this one it was the smallist I'd seen. I thought it was a hover craft boxfish, untill it started growing horns. As for the poisoniss aspect, I have no worries whatsoever after observing this fish for two months.

I know what you mean! Ithink they are the coolest fishtoo! Unfortunetly they do get pretty big, preety fast! If you don't want to give him up I would make plans for a bigger tank to put him in. He willl eventually grow out of that one!

I was going to get a Box Fish a while back. The LFS got one in that was only the size of your thumb nail! He was the cuttest thing! After I did a little research though I decided that I wouldn't be able to keep him happy for very long so I decided not to get him. Besides the whole "Toxic" thing kinda scared me a bit too!

Best of luck! I'm sure he'll be fine for a while but eventually I think he will get to big for a 30gal. You've already seen how fast these guys can grow!!!

When I got this one it was the smallist I'd seen. I thought it was a'hover craft boxfish, untill it started growing horns. As for the poisoniss aspect, I have no worries whatsoever after observing this fish for two months. It now has a purple fire fish for a friend, and they don't seem to notice each other. it doesn't seem afraid of anything. I noticed once when I had my hand in the tank, it came right up to me. i touched it and it didn't do anything, I havent tried petting it yet, but msybe someday it will let me.

That would be cool! I have a Coral Beauty and a Crested Blennie that eat out of my hand! It's such a neat feeling when your fish finally trusts you enough to come up to you like that!!! Best of luck with your fish!!!!

Thanx, I just hope it doesn't mature too fast because I don't have room for another tank untill I get a house. Hopefullly within the year.