Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Coral.

Unhappy Hammer Coral.

I think I might have somehow injured my hammer coral in my move. There is 1 section in a channel of about 1 inch that won't open for days now.The soft filmy tissued on the outside section just underneath were the polyps comeout has disappeared or has been damaged. There is now a scummy substance there that I've blown off with the turky baster. I'm not sure if its the coral trying to regenerate that soft tissue so it can slide smoothly in and out of its skeleton or infection crap. anyone see this before. I know only of TOUTOUCHE having this same coral on this board. I might have to cut that channel if its going to die.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Could it be Brown Jelly infection?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Unhappy

don't know. I'll have to keep my eyes open for sure. I sure the heck hope not.When I lost a frag to my move it started very similar but was gone overnight! Maybe there is more stress to a move than first thought.

ijo
    ohhh hope its not the brown jelly ... don't mean to scare you but blowing it off doesn't help the other corals... I learnt my lesson on this stuff... I had to break off a few pieces it spread to a few months ago... now I take the coral out of the tank(slowly as this stuff blows off real quick) and break/cut/bite the infected piece. Not sure how your going to do this with that channel though... hope it pulls through... its a real nice pice.

Thats the benefits with branching corals... you can easily break off the branch thats infected and chances are you will save the coral.

IJO

Have you tested the water recently? since the move?

Maybe the tank is going through a mini-cycle?

hammer

the waters fine. Its just one little section. I have done 2 water changes since the move. stupid me, I forgot that you shouldn't blow off brown jelly infection but I wasn't sure if it was and wanted to see if it was new tissue. It came off way to easy so I doubth it was tissue. I'll keep an update.

John,
    I've gone through that too once in the beginning of my reef setup.
    The problem with moving is that often the tank becomes "new" again and for certain corals ( LPS mostly..., especially torches and hammers) this can be downright stressful. There is often trouble afterwards.
    IMO, take a good look at it tonight to make sure you're aware of where the border is and tomorrow if you see anymore gone, take it out and frag it ASAP. Turn of all circulation in the tank first. Ivan is right, you do NOT want this stuff blowing around and infecting other fleshy corals. That coral is rather rare and you should get very proactive about saving what you can. I would also gethold of some type of disinfectant such as Lugols ASAP to dip it in because it IS an infection if it's brown Jelly disease.

Unhappy hammer

well, I had to get the freaking hacksaw out! the center piece was dead so I took the coral out of the tank, gave it a freshwater dip for 15 seconds and chopped it. I also sealed the end off with epoxy for protection. I'll keep as serious eye out and pray because I love this coral!!!! I wonder if the little 2 inch piece that was left over will survive? I'll keep ya posted.

I hope it recovers John...

update hammer

well, I checked this morning and the hammer was out and about even the little piece that was left over.I definatly won't cry victory until a few weeks pass.I think I know what set this chain of events off. The stress from the move plus I set the coral in a spot that the rock probaly scraped the tissue on the skeleton just under the polyps. I think this set the whole thing off. I placed it this morn so that no tissue touches the rock. I feel that if it grows to touch the rock thats seems okay but if you place it that the skin touches this seems to not be good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast