Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Kent Auto-Shutoff Question...

I just installed the Kent Float / Auto Shutoff on my RO/DI unit.

How can one be sure that the Auto-shutoff pressure switch is actually working? Does it make a clicking sound when it engages?

Reason I ask, is because I tried a simple test once it was installed...

I put a small length of hose on the output from my filter, and covered it with my thumb in order for it to build pressure. However, I never was able to tell if the pressure switch actually cut off water... When I removed my thumb, water sprayed all over my face ( ). So I know pressure *was* there.

For some reason, I doubt that my pressure switch is working.

Help...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hey Tang Man

I tested mine by just lifting the float to see if it would stop the trickle of water into my container. A smiple and effective test. The water stopped. When I let go, the water trickle continued. I did not get splashed in the face. Dumb question. Did you go back and double check your diagram from Kent (as bad as it is) to make sure all your connections and solenoid are in the right places? No kinks anywhere? It should be pretty fool proof. Hey, I did it right the first time.

Hey Perc,

Thanks for the reply... I double checked everything. Those instructions were pretty cheesy though to say the least...

Here's a picture of it installed....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent Auto-Shutoff Question...-filter-pressure-switch-small-.jpg  

I also decided not to use the cheap compression fittings that they supplied, and opted to run out to home depot and pick up some nice John Guest fittings...

It looks like what I have connected at home. But in all honesty I can't remember the exact sequence. I took your picture off the site and printed it. I'll check it against what I have at home tonight and post a reply this evening. I hope that's OK.

Sure thing...

Thanks for the help!

tang-man

are you running this to your topoff?
    you probaly already know this but an RO/DI should be ran for LONG periods of time. Short stints will use up your DI and you will also get less than quality water.I fill up at least 20g at a time.I have the exact system as your self. What I'm after is a 50g rubbermaid can that I can attach sometype of switch to come on when empty and off when full then a float switch in the sump to fill when needed.

Hey Johnny...

The RO/DI is feeding a rubbermaid trashcan with the Kent floatvalve, which subsequently feeds my kalkreactor and eventually the sump via a floatswitch.
    I placed the floatvalve about 1/2 way up in the rubbermaid.

The Kent pressure switch is only "supposed" to kick on when the water in the container goes down enough to have the floatvalve release enough water pressure... Thus the reason for the pressure switch. I set the floatvalve to move several inches, which equates to about a gallon or 2 in my rubbermaid. So basically, theoretically, it should be running my filter for 2 gallons of water. Which is quite a long time...

This is the exact reason why I want to make sure that the Kent pressure switch is working properly.

Tang_Man_Montreal

Sorry for the delay, I had to work overtime before coming home. Well, I only have a three stage RO, so my set up is a little dirrerent than yours. I don't see the whole set up in your picture, but I assume the water is coming in through the filters, (bottom canisters), and then up to the solenoid via the white tube. From there it goes to the T with one tube going into your membrane, and the other into your rubbermaid trashcan. That's pretty much what I have at home with mine, and it does work. You do have an extra fitting with yellow tubes coming out that I don't have, so sorry to say, Ican't really help you out on this. The only thing I can think of is to try taking the connections apart and checking for obstructions or kinks in the tubing, then reassembling the whole thing. I actually did that when I first set mine up, and it worked the second time around. I hope that works for you. Good luck.

P.S. If i want to reach at straws, one difference I do see is the blue tube coming out of my solenoid goes into one of the two horizontal openings in the T. Yours goes into the bottom part. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Percdude...

Thanks for the insight...
    The filter I have is a 6 stage RO/DI.

but I assume the water is coming in through the filters, (bottom canisters), and then up to the solenoid via the white tube.
    Yuppo

From there it goes to the T with one tube going into your membrane, and the other into your rubbermaid trashcan.
    Yup, one side of the T goes into the checkvalve on the RO membrane, the other side of the T goes towards the DI portion of the filter. (As stated in the instructions)

The extra fitting with the yellow tubes on it is the Flush kit to clean out the RO membrane.

[quote]
    If i want to reach at straws, one difference I do see is the blue tube coming out of my solenoid goes into one of the two horizontal openings in the T. Yours goes into the bottom part. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

I placed the T in accordance to the picture in those crappy instructions....

I've got it running now (has been since about 5:15 pm), I'll soon see if it works or not.

Thanks so much for the help...

You know, being a company as big as Kent, they could have invested in better instructions (that don't cut off words) and used quality John Guest fittings... Oh well....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast