Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it bad not doing water changes?

well, I use to do a water change once week, but lately I havent done any changes, I have two reef tanks full of live rock and the are extremely mature. I have huge colonies of plants and algea type of plants growing and my nitrate is always levels are always basically at zero percent.
    I basically add a gallon of destilled fresh water to the tanks weekly but havent done a water change to the tanks in a couple of months.
    Is this a bad thing?
    I just figured my tanks cycle themselves and have a such a huge diversity of life in them that they keep themselves clean.
    just like to hear different perspectives on this topic

I would like to add both tanks have fluval canaster filters and hanging filters and refugiums attached to them as well. so there is lots of filtrations, I also have biological filters in the tanks as well.

What test kits do you use

I use Nutrafin by hagen, its a three part test kit. 5 drops of #1 and #2, shake then 3 drops of #3. I can go out and buy another type of test kit and see if my nitrate levels are still nil.

I'd say water changes are a must. You have to do water changes to replenish trace elements in the system. Water changes also add calcium to the system that many corals use to grow. You might not have to do them once a week but I'd say at least once a month. I personoly do a 20% water change on my nano every week as I do not skim.

I understand what you are saying about adding trace elements and calcium but I add them myself twice weekly using reef complete and I add iodine as well.

Water changes are always necessary even on lightly stocked tanks. The timing may be different from one tank to the next but they all need to have it done.
    Rob

I know i am going to get killed for saying this, but if everything looks fine, and you are adding the needed additives (Ca, Alk, Mg, I, Sr, etc) and your paramaters are all in order, then you may be able to get away with the way you are going.
    Personally, i do not skim, and i change only about 20gals once a month on 200gals of water - even that i dont think is needed, but i just do it anyway. perhaps try at least 10%/month it will not be as big a hassle and can leave you some peace of mind.
    Albert
    My Photos

I like the idea od doing 10% per month. I do however know of people who have been running reef systems for years and never do any water changes, they just add the needed addatives and nutriants. And topping the tank off weekly with distilled water to keep the salinity at their regular levels. They also change the carbons once a month just the same as I do. I think they refugium and live rock keep the tank healthy, and all the different filters keep the water from getting stagnet.

doing a water change to me is like a oil change on a car people get lazy a find reason not to do it .. untill its to late

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast