Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Salifert calcium test questions

When performing the test, the directions says it has to turn clear blue. does it have to be 100% blue. I notice that at the bottom it's a bit pinkish with most of the solution being blue. I am not quite sure if it has to be totally blue

Also i have noticed some people whi have high alk of like 7-8. apparently the optimum alk is 3-3.5. why do some people have high alk?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

For alk, remember some people use Meq/l as a unit, while others use dkh.

If I remember correctly, 1 meq/l = 2.8dkh.

Give the vial a little more of a swirl and the color should be more uniform.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I do and it's still a bit pinkish at the bottom 95%blue. But i can make it full blue. I was wondering when it's time to stop? Full blue or a bit pinkish at the bottom?

Ive noticed with the test the same problem but mine turns from pinkish to a purplish color noticeably with a light hint of pink sort of like you notice, then the next drop turns it complety blue.

I was also curious to know if this was normal or when I should take the reading, when it noticeably changes from pinkish to purple or from purple then to blue with another drop ??

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

it takes me a couple more drops to clear that pink at the bottom? I dont know why salifert doesn't explain this in more detail.

The first time I used the test I had the same exact problem as you, I would add a drop it would turn blueish and some pink was clearly left, but like tiffany said, a couple more swirls made the color more uniform...but now the uniform color I was left with was purple hence my previous post heh.

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Cool

sometimes it will turn blue but then it will shift back a bit in a few seconds/minute. just add one more drop until the color stays blue for at least 1 minute. then your done.

what about the pinkish at the bottom, does it have to be full blue or not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast