Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coral ID

Coral ID

I got this coral from my LFS about 2 weeks ago. anyone know what it is and how to care for it? (lighting, flow, food, etc)
    Albert
    My Photos

looks like possibly sun polyps?
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Craig

Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

The LFS said its a Pagoda, but we know very well that they never know what they are talking about.
    Albert
    My Photos

ok heres a pic of the pagoda i think it looks more like the sun polyp but you have a better look than i do so compare the 2 and see
    http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1163854.html
    Craig

heres another go down a bit and theres a few pics of different corals all similar
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendrophylliidae.htm
    Craig

yeah, looks more like the Tubastrea
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Definitely a Sun Polyp!!! The store actually called it a Pagoda?!!!!: I know sometimes it's hard to ID a coral, but in this case.., c'mon..., a Pagoda?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :happy2:

trust me, the guy that runs the store doesnt know the first thing about fish or corals, but he does get in nice stuff. but of course i like to find out what the coral really is regardless of what he calls it. but i've never had sun polyps before, so i wansnt sure. it seems to be one large body rather than individual polyps attached to a rock, and they tend to only open up at night.
    guess i will make sure to keep it in a cave or under a ledge somewhere.
    Albert
    My Photos

Definetly a Sun Polyp! A cave would be good I think they tend to like the shade! Also I think you have to feed each individual polyp! Not sure though, I don't own one but I'm sure someone who does will chime in with some good advice about there care! It looks very healthy by the way!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast