Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

air bubble issues

Merry xmas peeps, hope you all get what what you deserve.

:biggrinbo

So i now have a new 90g set up with a 65g sump in the basement with an upside down sand bed, everything seems to be working fine apart from:-
    I have a problem with air bubbles coming down from the tank overflow and releasing into the plenum under the sand bed, which then trickle up through the bed (in one area). what i need to no is will this cause any problems in the sand bed/plenum?

How would i go about stopping these bubbles? maybe a small hole in the overflow piping just before it goes into the sump or i could possibly push an air tube through the bed into the plenum but i think this would be hit or miss.

I'm only running the return on a mag 7(1 gph ) at the moment until the mag 18 arrives, and i'm worried i will get more air bubbles when the flow rate is drastically increased.

What do you guys think? any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanx
    steve
    We need more Indians!

You should not have bubbles in your plenum.
    Make a baffle so that the bubbles are going to be directed towards the surface of the water.
    A simple way of creating a baffle is by placing the overflow return in a container or bucket which is in the sump.This way the bubles will not go into the plenum yet stay contained within the bucket and rise to the surface.

Alrha had some what same thing happen, and he placed a bucket temporarly untill he added a fixed baffle but a bucket works just as good.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Yes Steve ..That air will be a problem for the plenum part of the filter. That area needs to be a LOW 02 area. I don't know what kind of overflow setup you have but if it is not one of the popular type that allow air to escape at the top of the stand pipe you should start there. If that dose not do the job you could consider having the drain water pass through / over a course sponge if the setup in the sump will allow for that. The other option is to some how add baffles between the drain and the plenum as is done between a skimmer exhaust and the sumps pump return area of the setup.
    Rob

The overflow pipe comes down from the tank straight to the plenum. the bubbles coming from the pipe are small and collect until their big enough to come through the sand bed, not unlike the bubbles that came from the overflow on my last set up which didn't matter there.
    i am using a 1.5" durso stand pipe, with 1.5" pipe all the way to the sump, i wonder if putting an airline hose into the piping just before it hits the water would work.
    We need more Indians!

I don't think that would work because the air is not gathered into one place where you could bleed it out in the drain pipe. I think you need to address it at the sump. RoblinL's container in the sump may be all that is needed and is a good place to start.
    Rob

i dont see how i can do that, can you explain a little please.
    We need more Indians!

If you have space in the part of the sump where the drain water arrives you just put the drains hose into a container like a small bucket. The bucket will fill with drain water and then overflow into the sump. As the water goes over the lip of that bucket a lot of the air leaves the water because it will only be about 1/4 inch deep at the lip deprending on the flow rate.
    Rob

here is a little diagram
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

ok that would work, but not in this case because i have water flowing through the plenum. The overflow pipe goes down through the sand bed into the plenum, the water travels around a series of baffles and comes to the surface of the sand bed via another pipe where it proceeds through the rest of the sump, skimmers etc and is pumped back to the tank.

i have to work out a way of getting the bubbles out before they enter the plenum area.

(i am assuming a normal plenum has standing water ie no flow)
    We need more Indians!

Hi Steve,
    When plenum`s are used there should not be any heavy water circulation through or under the plenum or substrate, yet water should circulate by natural diffusion/circulation.In general a plenum should be a space in the substrate,where anaerobic bacteria will colonize, which will converts nitrates into nitrogen. In order for a plenum to function the plenum must contain carbon dioxide and be devoid of oxygen.

Would you be able to post a pic of what design you made?
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast