Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open red brain

open red brain

just wondering what is going on with my open red brain... it doesn't expand like it did when i first got it and recently it hasn't been "puffing up"if u know what i mean at all. i have 4x 20W 50/50 coralife mini compacts on the tank and a rio 200 for current in a 10G. i also have an aquaclear 300 fuge that i have recently set up. the water quality is good... no amonia or nitrites nad 0-10ppm of nitrate. my salinity is stable at 1.023-1.024 all the time.

thanks for all the help

I think corals really depend on Calcium too. You should do a test for that. How big of an area is the 80W of PC lights covering? I know it's a nano Reef but it might be a 10 gallon reef or it night be a 50 gallon Nano reef. Little bit far fetched but you know what i'm getting at. I hope...
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

What is your Alk and Calcium? Have you been feeding it before? Are any of the fish picking at it... are you sure?!!

Are there any aiptasia stinging it?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

it's a 10G tank and i have checked the coral and there is nothing close to it since i keep it on the sand. i have arag alive crushed coralas my substrate and i supliment calcium every second day. i am using bio calcium or some stuff like that and it varies between 400-450 ppm.the coral started to do bad once when the tank got a bit too hot and it has never realy recovered. i have not noticed the shell of the coral showing yet so i do not think that the fleshy part is disintegrating. i have not noticed anything bothering it except that my coral banded shrimp walks over it once in a whil but he plows over everything and anything in his way.... very strange

oh and i did feed it in the past but there is no opertunity to presently since i have not seen any sweepers come out at night for a good month

Do the feeders (rather than the sweepers) open, or are visible when you put food in the tank? Sometimes they take a little time to respond.
    Corals can starve to death.
    Does it have good flow? The SB may be covering it or dispersing enough on it to bother it.
    What are your phosphate and Ph reading?
    Mine wasn't opening for months and when I moved it to the new tank it opened within 24 hours.
    Id tend to be inclined that SB or water quality is an issue.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

well i don't beleive it starved to death since when it did open, i was feeding the tank brine every day so it had the opertunity to eat that. my phosphates are very low, almost unreadable on the test kit and every thing else in my tank seems to be prospering. i have a candycane hat is doing just fine and don't those have the same light requirements as a brain coral...?

C,
    Your testkit for Phosphates is worthless. The only testkit that is made to read low enough to find any trace of phosphates is a Deltec brand kit. Phosphates are bound up in everything from the rock to the sandbed, to all the various algaes growing in the tank. While it is there in very high amounts, it is not traceable by most conventional testkits. Brine shrimp is useless as a food for any animal. It can be compared to chips for you. While it might be fun for them to eat, it s mostly water and nothing else. The only time brine shrimp has any nutrition is when it is alive nd freshly hatched while still having the yolksac attached to the baby shrimps.

I had a brain that got into that mode for a while. One night I woke up around 3 am and looked in the tank and the feeder tenacles were out. Once I started feeding it again it opened up more frequently.

You might want to see if it is opening up iin the early hours. If you catch it open you might get it back into the eating mode.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast