How Much Flow????

Just wondering how much waterflow people are running in their systems.  Right now I'm running 2400 gph (including head pressure calculations on pump) in a 90 gallon reef.  I keep mainly SPS but also have soft corals too.
    Mag 18
    3 maxi jet 1200 powerheads.

Let us all know what you're running.
    ;D
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

Re: How Much Flow????

Right now my 77 gal has only 2 maxi 1200's and a return from a fluval 404... nothing much but the corals seem to be doing fine.  You just have to place your corals in the right spot... they tell you when their happy.

When the 90 gal with 33 gal sump is finaly up and running I plan on having a mag12 as a return with the same 2 maxi jets for added flow.

IJO

I use to run a 90 with 2 maxi jet 1200's and the same Fluval 404 return.  It worked for me also, until the system became established and turned my canister into a nitrate producer.  

The old saying though, if it works, then don't mess with it.  I still use the Fluval 404 for adding carbon periodically, or when I mess something up like medications....(which is often.).  It also is great for using on a QT tank or my hospital tank.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

I hear ya mouse... I was worried at first but it 'can' be done... just take your time and catch and fix the problems before they cause huge issues.

I'm looking forward to the new starphire front panel 90... the question is.. how long will this 90 keep me happy?

can you say Addicted? hehe

IJO

I use a Mag 7 lift and 2 MJ1200's. That's about 1200 gph. I used to use more Maxijets but I find it's hard on the corals. I'm interested in the Tunze powerheads that move a lot of water at lower pressure but they are very dear.
    True Perc

i'm using the large little giant 1380gph with a bunch of mj1200 in my 180g and i'm not happy with the flow. When i get my new 180g i plan on doubling the flow on my main pump and will
    still no doubt need a bunch of 1200's to target low flow areas. If at the time I can afford seaswirls I think i will be ok for adequate flow and needing less powerheads. I figure with my 1380gph minus bends, lift\head, i'm lucky to be pushing 800-900 gph..Just not adequate for this system. When i set this system up i figured I covered all the angles (or at least most) The
    next setup with the same tank size will be quite different. I believe when it comes to your main pump selection, regardless of if you are putting in a closed loop "go big or stay home"
    with an even over rated main pump, it can be throttled down on the output side with a ball valve
    or gate valve if you need to reduce some flow. But before you know it you may add a pressure driven device to you system and voila..You have the extra gusto without even needing to start adding another submersible pump etc to your sump as you can just t-off from the big boy's return. Examples that come to my mind would be if you want to add a fuge, calcium reactor, 2nd skimmer, etc. The big pumps are big bucks but they are pretty much the heart of the system.
    JeffD

I'm using a pond pump for my return rated at 700 gph, plus a hagen 802, Hagen 302, 2 Maxijet 600, 1 maxijet 900 and a stupid powersweep.
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

ijo

wow RG... thats crazy.. I gotta see this tank of yours.

IJO

rj
    Banned

I run a 46 Bow with 2 maxi 1200's...a Hagen 301...the return from my bakpak and my return from my fuge....all corals are swaying nicely but not blown away.