Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear flatworms

Clear flatworms

I was looking into my refugium this morning, and saw a clear flatworm. So scooped him up and put him down the sink. Can anyone tell me some info on the clear ones? Thanks

it could be a coloured one that has been in the dark for a while..How big was it? I have found that the smaller ones (around 1-2 mm) that are usually red are taken care of with flatworm exit or manderins, scooter blennies, wrasses etc. The larger ones which are usually clear or fleshy coloured (aprox2-4mm) are a little more difficult to kill, but don't seem to proliferate as much as the small ones. You could try the flatworm exit, but you might have to double the dose. The product itself is safe to use in the tank even at double dose and if you don't have a lot of flatworms (which, when killed release toxins) you wont have to do the major w.c.s etc because there wont be a large release of toxins.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

MAtt, Gotta kill those buggers! Time to DOUBLE DOSE!!!!!

I'm giving the tank a break from the red bug meds, then...WHAMO!! I'm gonna double dose for my flatworms. I'll let you know how it worked.
    Matt.

I have the small clear/white flatworms. I did double the dose and it killed about 80% of them buggers, But 20% still survived. I waited 4 days then I did 4 time's the dose and maybe about 10% of those flatworms died. I Think the remaining flatworms have built up an immunity to the flatworm exit. It does seem that the population is staying quite low now compared to before. I just hope they will disapear with time.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

4 times eh? well then, I think I will have to get me a couple more little bottles of F.E. and do a serious nukeing :gun3:
    Matt.

Actually it was a little more than 4 times about 4 and a half!!!!! I think I may get a fish to help eat these little buggers. They don't seem to hurt anything in my tank, it just irritates me knowing that they are there.

Colby

reefmutt....... Just so you know I had nothing but snails and live rock in my tank at the time of treatment. So I'm not sure if it would harm corals or fish doing a dosage that high? Just a word of caution. My snails did seem really irritated by the medicine or the flatworm toxin. I also left the FE in my tank for 6 hours with no carbon and with my skimmer turned off for both treatments.

Colby

How many of these flatworms did you have? I have noticed just a few in my tank but wasn't too worried becuase I'd heard that they don't tend to reach plague proportions or do any harm.
    Susan

thanks for the warning, Colby
    Flame, I don't have that many, they are around but they never seem to have a population explosion. I've never really seen them get out of hand, but they can really irritate mushrooms sometimes
    Matt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast