Thread: ORP at 300

ORP at 300

how can i get it higher???........ or is 300 good?

you should be in between 300-400 and if you want to bring it higher...id SAY either a water change or add ozone...dont go pass 400.....if you pass 400..and in the higher 400's....you will see fish flipping on their back..how long did you put the probe iin?it took about 3-4-5 days for the probe to setttle for me
    Derik...

leave it alone- IMO all orp is good for is to have another thing to stress about. I wouldn't try very hard to chance it. Since you have the meter, use it as an early warning sign of something wrong--when it suddenly gets lower. This could mean something has died in the tank or the circulation has stopped or something like that.
    300 is a perfectly fine reading for a tank- don't worry about it!!
    you can now use this reading as a benchmark.
    A water change may help, but it'll go down right after the w.c. than climb again. Just don't let it rule you life because there are plenty of perfectly healthy reefs with lower, as well as higher readings than 300
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Your not far off in any case. 325 to considered a GOOD number. My orp is different from day to night bay as much as 25 points. If you feel a need to raise it do so by getting more O2 dissolved into the water.
    Rob

ok it's only been in for 1 day and half

Andrew,
    I strongly urge you to listen to Reefmutt. ORP is just something else to fret over for nothing. I myself have never used/known my ORP in my tank, nor do I care to know. This is a perfect example of how information overload is often more a bad thing than anything else!!

Its very good to have if your using ozone..orp in the upper 400's WILL kill your livestock
    Derik...

O.k.... if you have an ozone unit, perhaps.., but otherwise.., as I said.

the only reason i like to know the ORP is because when im gone and i look on the net with my aquacontroller..i see the ORP everyday and not the tank so it gives a good indication of hows the tank doing..just piece of mind for me...but it sure is not a necessary expense if you are on a tight budget...do you have ozone Andrew?
    Derik...