Banned

has anyone seen or owned one of these B-fish

ive always wanted a stunning b-fly and this is the one. its says shes reef safe. can ivan get these ????

The Yellow Pyramid Butterfly is also known as the Yellow Zoster Butterfly, and occurs in large numbers among the reefs of the Indian Ocean. The fins are yellow in color, and the body is mostly white. The white coloration forms a triangle with the yellow fins, lending it its common name. The head area is black helping these fish camouflage themselves in the wild. The Pyramid Butterfly feeds upon plankton in the wild, and is safe for reef aquariums.

The Yellow Pyramid Butterfly is quite shy at first, and should be provided multiple hiding places. The ideal aquarium will be at least 100 gallons and will contain plenty of live rock that will provide hiding places, and a supplemental food source. They may be kept singly, in pairs or small numbers. They will not pick at sessile invertebrates, and are safe for a reef aquarium.

The Yellow Pyramid Butterfly feeds upon plankton in the wild, and their diet should consist of mostly meaty items. Feed frozen mysis and vitamin enriched brine shrimp, and a quality flake food.

liv
    Ivan can get anything i think.. I would imagine that he would just have to put it on his list and it would arrive a few days or weeks after.

as with most butterfly fish.. most have a taste for fan worms... if you have some, its a chance to take..

I love my copperband butterfly fish.. its my avatar pic.
    he keeps the place clear of aiptasia (which is the main reason i got him ) but this guy has soo much personality.. just great to have him in there.. showing is spine to damsels daily.. love it.

sure looks like a nice fish!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Banned
    i really likie the copperband, actually would be sweet to have a mated pair. i think i may go that route. does you cbb ever pick at your tube worms? as i love feather dusters but hate their price.

thanks liv. im impressed, only months of experience and several tanks. do you have room for a maroon clown? or a black and white damn-sel

Banned
    oh, liv i just realized that you experience was months....2 years ago. my bad.

Cool

wrasser, you'd need a large tank for a pair of CB, you'd also have no feather dusters in a day! There very hard to get to eat prepared foods as well. If your tank is large enough and the fish is eating preped foods it would work out.

I agree with Johnny, a pair of copperbands would need a 6' tank in my opinion. My experience wtih them is either they eat well or not at all. This is a good fish to buy locally only after you've seen it eat. If that's not possible and you get one or a pair mail order I would highly recommend starting them in a quarantine tank as they are much more likely to eat with no other fish around. They are pickers in the ocean and have to learn to eat from the water column in our tanks, it can take some time and if there is competition from other fish it sometimes just doesn't happen.

I have no experience with the beatiful pyramid butterflyfish but, as with all butterflyfish, best to get one that you are sure will eat.
    Susan

liv
    mine eat mysis all the time, but do pick at feather dusters from time to time.. but I still have plenty of feather dusters in my tank after 6months with the CB.

like they said, depends on the cb.
    i try to keep my cb's stomach full most of the time and he does'nt pick at them too much.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Wrassehole,

I had the local Big-Al's in Montreal bring some of Pyramid Butterflies in for me a couple of weeks ago.

They were suffering from floatbladder problems and didn't make it unfortunately... he'll probably bring in some more.

They are indeed reef-safe, reputed to be even safer than a Copperband butterfly in a reef.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Well, from your description, it states that they are planktivores, so they shouldn't touch anything, including the fanworms or tubeworms. A Copperband is "not" a planktivore, so yes it will go after the various worms.

Banned
    this is exactly why i love you guys. lol. information a lfs would keep to themselves to pay the rent.i have a 4' 90 and thought cbb were small fish that didnt need too much room. my tanks a nice size but 75% of the space is used by live rock. if i get one itll be single, and ill make sure ill watchem eat.