Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Dolomite - Where to find?

I'm seriously considering using dolomite in my Ca Reactor in order to maintain Mg levels...

I can't get my Mg higher than 1150 no matter what I try.

I've tried the additives (Kent, Seachem), which only marginally help for a short while...

I think dolomite may be the next step...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

that will also increade your ph to 8.6+ i had some dolomite rocks in my African tank.. and it raised a friend of mine to a ph of 9.1...

you can get some dolomite in guelph Ont. at the cichlid society..

Hmm...
    Yeah, I also read that it raises Alk as well... Something that I don't want...

Anyone heard of or used Grotech Magnesium pro - Addition for Calcium Reactor???

Here's a thread on it...
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...light=dolomite

Cool

okay, I have to ask this question in a good humored way.
    I'm starting to notice a large trend of reefers constantly chasing numbers and tweaking this and adding that. Some of the most successful tanks I've seen online and in person are ones were basically consistent water changes and a reactor only with KALK water were needed. They never freted about slight drops or raises and never had issues.
    now. on the flip side I've seen serious reefers with every gadget under the sun and adding all kinds of elements and chemicals just to have there established systems crash with horrific results. Is it possible that the more knowledge we gain the more we tinker and can this have serious effects? I'm just
    throwing this outthere as I'm seeing more and more success with the barebones systems/hands out of the tank and more and more crashes with gadget ridding/chemical adding/ hands in the tank setups. what do you guys think?
    I'm on my 3rd tank [4rth actually] and have never chased numbers and own nothing but an RO/DI unit to date. I've had very good success and I'm a little scared by getting caught up in this hysteria. what do you guys think??

John,
    I agree with you about this. For a tank to be successful, you have to leave it alone while maintaining the basics as far as water parameters. All these trends are ( as far as I'm concerned) causewd by information overload. You'll notice that the more experienced people that have been doing this hobby for "many" years all rely on the basic time tested ways of doing things.

Yeh tang man, instead of worrying about your Mg how about posting some pics.:biggrinbo (only kidding man, not about the pics though)
    We need more Indians!

Hmmm....

I'm sorry to say, but the use of dolomite is nothing new.
    Neither is the fact that your Mg level should be atleast that of what occurs in the ocean... ~1250...

I'm struggling to keep my Mg level above 1150 with additives. I gave up on additives a while ago since I'm at 1100-1120 without them and saw little to no benefit of using them (Kent Tech-M, Seachem Mg)

I KNOW that this is why I have poor coralline growth, and coral growth for that matter.

For best growth, Mg should be around 1300-1350, which is what I'm aiming for.

Every tank is different in it's requirements and happennings.

On a side note, I don't tinker with anything in my tank. No additives, no changes.... Just feeding, clean the glass and equipment, 20gal waterchange every 3 weeks...

Gadgets? The only thing I would probably consider a "gadget" is my aquacontroller... And even then, I'd only use the term lightly as I've come to depend on it.
    Skimmer, Ca Reactor, Kalk Reactor, RO/DI unit, Auto Top-off's are all common fare now and seen on most tanks.

On the subject of chasing numbers....
    Maybe one should look at it from another point of view.

Here's an example:
    When your car doesn't idle properly, you want to find out what the problem is, right? A rough idle could be due to several factors... all of which need to be investigated.

Well... the situation in my tank is no growth. I have slow to nil coralline and coral growth. All my other parameters (Ca, Alk, pH, temp, flow, lighting, etc) are within spec. My Mg level is not.

Is this considered chasing numbers? I don't think so.
    I'm not chasing numbers for fun here or for no reason... I'm trying to determine why I have no growth. Magnesium is an integral requirement for coral growth.

While I agree that there are those that chase numbers for no reason, this is not the case here.

Now... back to Dolomite and MagnesiumPro...

Thoughts? Availability?

Club Piscine sells it in bags for the spas. Or at least they did last year when I was in there and happened to fall upon it.., well, not literally fall.., but you understand...

Cool

Vince my question was more round about and not specifically aimed at you but, case in point, I found it takes time and mature rock to give you that corraline blast! and also, I found it takes time for the corals to start there growth spurt [so to speak].
    Are we talking about the tank you ''just ''set up?? The corraline will come trust me! and its a pain in the arse!:
    aug,sept,oct nothing! nov, slight growth and corraline, DEC!!!! BAMM!! corraline out the ying yang. no mag, just KALK and TURBO CALCIUM. to bring up the ca. IMO just let the tank age and do water changes every few months.You don't have massive amounts of corals do you? I use IO salt as well.p.s I could scrape my tank walls for you when you come over and suck up some corraline. ca is 350

Vince,
    I too was not directing it at you but moreso towards John's thoughts.
    I also agree with him that as long as your PH, Alk and Calcium are good, the rest will come with time. The tank needs time to mature ( and I don't mean the beginning cycles).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast