Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carbon Discussion

This is one for all you carbon users out there, i use carbon on and off in my tank, and have for the past few years, but i've always used the "cheap" carbon thats available at Pets Unlimited ( because that is all they carry ) but i was wondering if its worth it to go with a better quality carbon ?
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Good question. We hear all the time cheaper brands leach more phosphates and are less effective at removing DOC.

But who knows if it's not a way of having us spend more money on more expensive brands.

Anyone aware of a serious study on the subject?

I play safe and avoid the cheaper ones. I alternate between carbon and polyfilters.

I"ve been debating the poly filters for awhile, i hear they are good stuff.
    I'd really like to see some studies as well
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I really like the polyfilters, as I can see it turning brown with organics. This a major plus compared to carbon.

Another plus is that it does not leach phosphates. But they are more expensive, and I have no clue how effective it is compared to carbon.

Well, I can't comment on the different brands of carbon, but I have heard that one of the best ones is called Matrix. It is carbon that is formed into tiny balls. I have always been using the Black Diamond brand and have had no problems with it. Polyfilters are good too but as mentioned they are more expensive if you compare to carbon.
    As a sidenote, there is an alternative to RO units called a Kold Sterile unit that uses disc shaped polyfilters instead. It has 0% waste water production and would be a good alternative if your house is metered for water usage. However, once again the filters would add up in price. If ever my house starts to get metered, I would consider looking into this unit.

Now.., back to the "carbon channel"...

toutouche do you have any more info on the Kold sterile unit.(ie links) (my water is metered and im getting bored of buying ro/di water)
    We need more Indians!

I don't have any onhand, but it is made by Kent. Hope that will help you a bit.

Not Kent. It's Poly BIO Marine. I saw this thread about it.

Company link
    thanks.
    thien

Oops!! Thanks Thien.
    I'm assuming this is a sister company of Kent because they are still using the Poly filters made by Kent. In the past I was told that it was simply Kent itself that made the Kold Sterile units. Notice the similarity in using the "K" letter in the name?

Sorry its a little long

There are different types of carbon/coal,you can have low end Coconut ,Wood or peat based,or animal bone coal that contains high phosphates which we know what that feeds ALGAE, and ash which is responsible for Ph shocks.

There is the Activated Carbon that has been treated with oxygen in order to open up millions of tiny pores in the carbon It has an enourmous surface area per gram. Activated carbon absorbs various substances,it does this attaching to the carbon pores by chemical reaction.organic or inorganic pass near the carbon surface, they attach to that surface and are trapped.

The highest grade such as Bituminous coal which is the highest next to anthracite coal.What makes Bituminous coal better its the processing ex:cooking temp for higher pores=more absorbtion of DOCS and chemicles and after being ACID washed which is responsible for removing most of the phosphates and ash this process is reapeted several times and this is why some carbons are so much more expensive.

Here is what you should look for dont buy it just because it makes claims I took this from a manual(Dhelm) .

1-If the label gives key specifications (porosity, density, ash, and phosphate content) then the supplier likely has nothing to hide and the carbon is likely a good one like Matrix Carbon.

2-If the carbon boasts no phosphate, then the supplier is either lying or doesn't know any better.Neither is very reassuring. All Carbon contains phosphate it all depends upto on what level it may leach.

3-Compare weight and volume. The less weight for a given volume, the greater the porosity and the better the carbon, all-else being equal. You can usually do this without buying the product first. After buying the product, this parameter will be reflected by the carbon's ability to float and fizz.

Some physical characteristics that should be evident before buying should be considered. Particle size,
    Powdered carbons offer no real advantage and are difficult to handle.

Large particle sizes become impenetrable by water and so only the outer 1-2 mm of the particles are absorbent, making as little as 20% of the carbon useful.

Spherical shape is ideal hydro-dynamically for unimpeded water flow and inability to pack, and is therefore superior to random granular shapes once again Matrix Carbon.

Didnt want it to be this long but started typing and couldn`t stop.
    Hope this helps.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast