FLATWORMS...I WIN...(Long post.Sorry)

I have been battling a brown/red flatworm plague for a couple months now to no avail…. until the other day.  I have done the siphoning trick, the increases water flow trick, using fish like wrasses etc to eat them, all to no avail.  I read that the use of GREEN-EX work immediately on these critters.  After extensive readings of hundreds of threads on various boards, I came to the conclusion that these work, but MAY (not always) have adverse affects on some SPS corals.  All other livestock seems pretty much in good health.
    I now decided that this is what I’m going to try next.
    On the bottle of GREEN-EX it states that the product may stain silicon.  SO I took another precaution.  

Here’s what I did.

I removed all my SPS corals only and their rocks they’re attached to.  I prepared one bucket of salt water with GREEN-EX and one bucket of pure salt water.  I dipped the rocks with the SPS corals on, into the GREEN-EX bucket, trying to keep the coral out of the solution.  I kept the rock in the water for about a minute.  Right before your eyes, the flatworms will blow up and fall off the rock.  Some stay attached.  A gentle shake, and then dip the whole rock and coral into the bucket of pure salt water.  REMEMBER…the flatworms give off toxins when they die; this is why I rinsed in fresh salt water.  I then placed the coral into a small QT tank I had set up.  These SPS corals will remain in this tank for 3 days so I can observe them and the affects of the GREEN-EX.

For the Reef I did this.  I added one drop of GREEN-EX per NET gallon of water…. not tank volume but the net volume, however I reduced the concentration by about 25%.  You do the math.  My 90 gallon has about 60 gallons of water when you consider the rock, substrate and sump. So I used 40 Drops of GREEN-EX.  I placed the GREEN-EX into the system via the sump, ten drops at a time, so it mixes throughout the reef slowly.  I was hoping by using the reduced concentration, it would kill the flatworms, but not stain the silicone.  Well I hit the concentration level on the nose (by luck also) and the worms were dying by the hundreds.  You can see it happen right before your eyes.  Now here comes the work.  WATER CHANGES…plural.  I did an immediate 20% water change.  I let the system run for another hour, and then did another 20% water change.  I let the system run for about 2 hours, and did a third 20% water change.  This may be overkill on the water changes but the toxins (from what I’ve read) is what harms the system when the flatworms die.  I then added my canister filter packed with carbon to remove the GREEN-EX.  The product states it’s easily removed with carbon.  

RESULTS – A week has passed and no flatworms in sight.  The SPS corals were added 2 days after the treatment.  No corals have shown any signs of change.  Powder Brown Tang, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blennie, brittle star, turbo snails, hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, SPS, LPS, and various frags of hard and soft corals all 100% healthy….and still no sign of any flatworms.

Now this is the technique I did and it worked.  Modify it however fits you best, but remember the water changes.  When these worms die, they leave a toxin in the water.  I had about three 10 pound rocks covered in the worms, but they were on the sparingly spread throughout the tank just to give you an idea of my infestation level.

Good Luck…. contact me if anything here’s needs clarification.  Sorry for the long post but I had to share this as it worked and I have no more flatworms.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Re: FLATWORMS...I WIN...(Long post.Sorry)

I treated my tank a mont ago with Flatworm Exit and it worked.... until last week when I saw that "They're Back!"....

I guess a second treatment will not hurt.

I've never used flatworm exit.  But I can sure say the GREENEX worked.  2 weeks now and not a single flatworm to be seen.  Fingers still crossed.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I've never used flatworm exit.  But I can sure say the GREENEX worked.  2 weeks now and not a single flatworm to be seen.  Fingers still crossed.