Chloramine in our Tanks?

Thought this was an interesting article (apologies to all who have read already) - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-1...ture/index.htm

Quote from article -

Chloramine in tap water should be a significant concern to aquarists. Its peculiar properties make it well suited to disinfection of water supplies, but also make it a potential toxin in aquaria. In order to render the water safe for use, aquarists need to use one of two systems for purification: an inorganic reducing agent combined with an additive that binds ammonia (or a single product that does both), or an RO/DI system. Chloramine is toxic enough that it would seem prudent for aquarists to spend the time and money necessary to ensure that they do not unduly stress their organisms. This activity includes setting up appropriate purification systems, and may also include testing the water to ensure that those systems are functioning properly.

Of particular note is the findings of Chloramine in RO/DI water after 11 month filter use, even though the water still tests low on TDS.

If I'm correct (further apologies if I am not!) Ottawa water contains Chloramine.

When was the last time you changed your filters? I'd be curious if it's been awhile, what Chloramine levels are in the water?

Hope this is helpful!

Interesting article....from my filter system I get 0 chloraimine and the filter is just about a year old. I change it every Februrary.
    I've tested my tank a few times as well and I get 0 chloramine (mind you, I've been told that it takes 1 week for chloramine to naturally disappear).
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I don't believe chloramine dissapates over time like chlorine does, that you have to remove it via filtration or chemicals.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

That's right mickfin ... The city started using chloramine because it is so stable as compared to just chlorine. It sticks around for a long long time.
    Rob

If I'm not mistaken, it's the carbon block that removes chlorine and chloramines. it won't show up on a TDS meter. As part of using a RO unit, regular maintenance is a prerequisite. I never wait till I have high TDS readings to change my filters because that would mean some has already gotten into the tank system. I regularly change my prefilter and carbon block every 3 months. TDS membrane and DI resin less frequently. Just so you know, chloramine is added at very much higher concentrations during the hot months of summer to combat all kinds of nasties that can be in the warm water. So it is extra important to be on top of things during the summer months as far as maintenance.
    It is counter productive to spend money on a filter system for your tank, then let it slide as far as the maintenance of it.

yep, from what I've read as well charcoal and the DI resin is the only things that will break it down, the DI resin more so.
    NICKB,, want to add something??

Nope :-)
    Nick

Originally posted by Johnny Rock
    yep, from what I've read as well charcoal and the DI resin is the only things that will break it down, the DI resin more so.
    John,
    I'm not disagreeing about this now, but rather just wanted to state that this is new to me. I always thought it was the charcoal that absorbed or broke down the chlorine based chemicals.
    You read somewhere about the DI resin doing this too?

Cool

I'm almost 100% I read it back in the RANDY section on RC sometime back. It stated that the charcaol may get some but that the DI is more efficient in binding it up. I'd have to fins that thread.

Cool

found the artical and reread it. Its the charcoal that does the breaking down to ammonia and chloride and the DI helps eliminate the ammonia. Its also good as you mentioned before greg to keep your RO/DI systems clean.