Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sun polyps

sun polyps

ive recently purchased a sun coral(sun polyps) whatever they are they are the ones that use no light to survive. for the first two days there was just the tubes, no polyps exposed. i was thinking that he wasnt happy. i have him under a ledge. until i used a flashlight at 3 in the morning and all the polyps were out. i know there are somewhjat nocturnal but hoped to see the polyps more than with just a flashlight. is it because they are getting some light on them or are they shy for the first week there in a new tank?

Feed them during the day. They will open more if you do. For feeding, use a plastic water bottle cut in half. Put the top part aver the coral and feed frozen brine shrimp through the neck. BTW, for these corals to be healthy require discipline on your part: 2 feedings a week.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I do spot feedings with a turkey baster after the lights go out at least 3 x week. I have to chase my !@#$!@#$ tang and copperband away as they will steal the food out of the polyps 1st chance they get!

Originally posted by xerces
    I have to chase my !@#$!@#$ tang and copperband away as they will steal the food out of the polyps 1st chance they get!
    That's why I use the plastic bottle trick...

-40 dB
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

hey thanx guys, i have been using a turkey baster. but i will use a bottle over it then squit brine in with the baster. i will try feeding during the day, ill keep ya posted. thanx

To get them programmed to the time you will be feeding them : thaw the mysis shrimps (NOT brine) with tank water and squirt some of the "juice" over the sun polyps to tell them it's feeding time, in a few minutes (can be long the first few times) they will open to feed. Then use the turkey baster to get a piece of food in every polyps. Soon they will be openned automaticly at feeding time. Like it was said before you need discipline because if you miss too many times they will tend to close up and you might have to reprogramm them.
    Or you can do like I do and feed them when the fish are asleep and the lights are out I do it that way cause thats when the candy cane has its sweeper tenticals out anyways. I feed both at the same time.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Another trick is cyclop-eese. They seem to love the smell & will generally open up in about 20 mintues after you feed your fish cyclop-eese.

My routine was feed the fish, come back in a half hour & feed the sun polyp.

I kinda miss having one, but it was too big for my nano so he got a new home.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Why mysis and not brine?
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

i use the sweetwater zooplankton, they tend to love it.
    of course the cleaner shrimp try to rip as many as they can out of their fingers.
    Albert
    My Photos

Originally posted by Deafboy
    Why mysis and not brine?
    I have read that brine shrimp to fish is more like candy as compared to the nutritional value of mysis.

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast