Thread: Ick

Ick

Who out there has a really large reef tank that has had ick at one time or another and if so how did you go about resolving the issue?

Looks like I may have some ick on my new baby naso.....swimming around like mad smashing into everything this afternoon.....ended up scratching himself badly......

he was attempting to get the cleaner shrimp to clean him......

I have been dosing all the food with Garlic the last few days...extra feedings of mysis, spirulina enriched brine and omega 3 enriched brine.....

plus he has a ravenous appetite for the dictyota.........

scratches then goes and eats ....been doing this all night....I am a little worried about him and the other 12 fish.....impossible to catch them.....and the tank would be a nightmare to tear down......

I guess I'm just looking for some input and possible reassurnace.......

Any input if very much appreciated

fishprick,

If it's a reef you have, try not to worry. No amount of medication, which you can't really use in a reef anyway, will be of great help.

The reef tank IMO is the best environment for a fish with ich, my personal experience is that quarantine just stresses them more, unless it's a 66 gallon or larger, even then...

The ich, IMHO, and that of many other experienced aquarists is an indicator of "stress", remove the stress factor and the ich should go away by itself. We're talking days here...

New introductions sometimes upset the tank balance and the ich comes out. Remember, the harmony of the community is now out of balance with the new tang, everyone is nervous about this speeding bullet.

That baby Naso is a tang and as such will be prone to ich when stressed. The ich is always in the tank, you can never get rid of it...

I've had ich on and off for over 4 years in my reef, every time there is a stress factor it starts to come out. Being able to identify the stress factor is the hard part.

You could try a raising of tank temperature and lowering of salinity to interrupt the parasite life cycle and bring it under control. Many articles on this technique exist on the web.

Think twice about drastic measures, it'll only worsen the problem. Don't pour chemicals in there, please.

Impatience is sometimes our worst enemy and you'll find the less you play with the tank the better off it may be. That is only MHO.

p.s - that tang is gonna grow real big one day.

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Agreed. When I got a Hippo Tank I had the same problem. Ick on and off for about 3-4 months.
    I did everything you have done, I also put about 1 drop of garlic per 10 gal. of water in every day on top of the amount I put in the food.
    I made a homemade food recipe with scallops and shrimp and ground garlic into that as well.
    The ick always went away in 5-6 days.
    For about 9 months now I haven't seen ick come back.

Oh yes I also got a neon goby and that little guy worked wonders. Much better than a cleaner shrimp IMO.

Hope that helps.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

ijo
    Those little neon gobies are supper kewl... I've got the sharknose goby(same but with a yellow stripe instead of blue). Thinking of adding a couple more after the move.

IJO

I agree 100% with ReefVan . I have aunicorn and yellow tnag that get ich when stressed. If he's eating as well as he is, keep soaking all his the food in garlic. sounds like you have a great setup for the ich to go away on it's own if you can remove what is stressing the fish....check water quality and put in the effort to make an ideal setup for the Naso.

....and yes that fish will grow really big....Naso tangs have wonderful personalities but they get to be monsters...

Good Luck:biggrinbo :biggrinbo :biggrinbo
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree with everyone here to a certain degree...

I'm a quarantine tank advocate.

However... My quarantine is not just a bare tank with some pieces of PVC there.

My quarantine tank is a 30gallon with a sandbed, liverock, and an Emperor 400. It's basically a small reef that I keep running. Water changes from the main tank go into this tank every now and again to keep the water chemistry somewhat the same among the 2 tanks. So I guess you could call it an isolation tank.

When I get a new fish, he goes in there for 3weeks. This way I can keep a good eye on him, and he does not spread anything in my main reef. It's easier to remove a fish needs to be medicated from this tank, than my main tank. I then would medicate the fish in a 18L rubbermaid container.

To date, I've NEVER had an ich outbreak. (knock on wood). This includes my 3 year old hippo tang (who I've had for 1.5 years). In fact, that same tang is currently being moved from the QT tank into my main today. He's been there ever since the crash, waiting for the display to become somewhat more stable. (He was in Toutouche's sump for a month after the crash, then came here)

If you can offer a stable environment, then a QT (or isolation)tank is good...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your inputs...greatly appreciated........My reef tank has been up and running for a little over a year(never any issues with the inhabitants)......very stable environment.......water quality is excellent.....and the fish prior to adding BABY NASO were all in excellent shape.....

I am an advocate of heavy feeding.....I usually try and feed 3-4 times a day........I believe this is important for the long term health........I have never had issues with overfeeding due to my Ecosystem refugium.....seems to take care of any side affects that would be associated with overfeeding.

My 9 green chromis started off as tear drop sized fish and all are about 1-1.5 inches.......very nice school...always together.

My Leopard Wrasse.... I purchased at Big Al's about 7 months ago.....he was in their tank deprived of any natural foods...felt bad for him...I knew the risk associated with this species.....took the chance....he eats all brine, mysis, flake, 3 different types of pellets.....amaizing fish and about 4 inches.

My royal Gramma.....big....two and a half times bigger in such a short time....eats like a feen....

ANYWAYS......once I added the new baby...I knew there would be an adjustment phase....the wrasse and the gramma both had issues for the first two days........THIS CREATED 1 STRESS FACTOR.......THE OTHER FACTOR WAS....the baby was only at the LFS for 4 days......(I KNOW THE RISK>>>>)

I had a 55 gallon quarantine with about 50 pounds of live rock and 5 types of caulerpa..........took it down 2 weeks ago to much effort now that I have no time.

Anyways baby naso SHE ( WIFE DECIDED THE NEW NAME IS WILMA) is eating big time...looks like she may explode from the Dictyota.......cleaners seem to be helping....and I soak all food in Garlic for 1 hour prior to feeding....will keep this up for a month.

Sorry for the rambling on I appreciate the help form everyone....CHEERS ....LETS GO HAVE SOME BEERS

PS: I am a strong advocate of NOT using chemicals in my reef ...just to aleviate any stress for REEFVAN

Fishprick,

It seems that you are on a good road. The garlic will definately help. If you can, Try to find some Selcon. This is something I forgot to mention in my previous post.
    I add this to most feedings, and find that it is one of the reasons my fish are disease free as well.

Your Naso may be stressed due to the new environment, and several acclimations in a short amount of time. Hopefully he'll pull through. The fact that he's a strong eater is a good indication that he's going to be ok.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't BigAls have put the fish aside for you for a week if you asked them to? I try to have my LFS keep fish that I'm interested in aside for a week, so I can determine it's health, and also prevent it from going through another acclimation in a short time.

Unhappy BIGALS

I try'd many times to get them to hold a fish for a few days to a week, no go! they won't hold fish.I under stand 1 point as they say if everyone held fish there they would have a bunch of fish that new customers couldn't buy and they would have a ordering schedule nightmare.

FYI...

There's a very good article on this month's issue Reefkeeping..

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-1...ture/index.htm