What is going on??

A couple of weeks ago I found a few dead hermits. Yesterday a few more why are my hermits dieing ?
    Looks like they are being yanked out of their shells , just bodies no shells.
    Checked my water ammonia=0, nitrates=5 , nitrites=5 ,ph=8.1 temp=80.
    Going to do 20% water change on the weekend.
    System has been up for 10 months.
    Nothing added in the last 3 months.
    Fish are all doing great.

I should add before Christmas same thing was happening , thought it was the bigger hermits doing it . We took them out and put them in the 75 gal. with only rock.

Do you have some empty shell for them? you need different size of them. Hermits are going to fight to get a bigger shell when they grow bigger...
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Do you have any aggressive or semi-aggressive fish in there tha might be going hungry? I had the same thing happen to the snails in my FW setup. It was just some aggressive fish shaking around the snail until it came out.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Nitrites at 5 is too high ... your nitrites should be next to nothing if not nothing. How many pounds of live rock do you have? How many pounds of sand? Do you have alot of livestock in that tank? Other than hermits what do you have for a cleanup crew? If your nitrites are high like that it means that you don't have the necessary bacteria to break it down to nitrates. If something dies in your tank and you don't have enough critters to eat it up it will end up causing an amonina/nitrite spike in your tank. If you're seeing alot of dead critters in the tank and nothing is eating them up I would remove them asap and do a large water change.

Hope this helps,

Steph

yeah, nitrites really must be zero. It is really weird that you have nitrite- when is the last time you added live rock, and has anything dissapeared lately?
    what are your alkalinity and calcium levels? hermits need proper levels of these to do well.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

A few of my crabs have died and I noticed that they do tend to end up out of the shells because once they die they are not holding themselves in anymore. As they rot and create gas within their dead bodies they become neutrally buoyant and sort of float out.
    Rob

While we're on the topic of hermit crabs, I put in a bunch of hermit crabs a while back and one of them actually 'fell' out of it's shell and was walking around without a shell. It did find it's shell once again and crawled back inside.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

He may have been looking for a better fit. Do you have spare shells in the tank for them to pick through?
    Rob

After reading the replies to my post, I decided to retest nitrites because I didn't think my nitrite readings were not that bad.
    Well after doing a retest I felt just a bit stupid nitrites are not 5 but 0.1 Why I was I put 5 I don't know think I was sleeping or something.
    For those of you asking calcium is 440 , only have hagen test kit for alk it is reading 120ppm , going to get better test kit on the weekend.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs