Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RED BUGS and there PREDS.

I'm reading all the threads on interceptor but haven't seen anything on natural remedies?? do these mites have predetors in the wild?? clown gobies etc??

Not clown gobies... I have four and they never touched the bugs. Greg will have a name of a pipe fish which supposedly eats the bugs, but that is the only predator that i know of...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Here is the Pipefish that is "supposed" to eat them. It's called a Dragonface Pipefish.
    It is a pipefish that naturally inhabits SPS areas, therefore being at home in highflows and currents common in a SPS tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=282

John,
    You got the bugs now?

i dont know if you know that pipefish can only be housed with seahorses and nothing more. so youd have to remove all yur fishies, chuck in the pipefish, lettem go to town, then remove him, sell him, then put the fishies back in, wheeew, lotta werk

Principle Skimmer,
    wrong!!!! Do some reading on this Pipefish first. This is a Pipefih that naturally inhabits high flow zones on a reef. For your info, I have another Pipefish type of for quite a few months now in my tank..., mixed in with "all" the other fish and it has no problems. You just have to know which types are compatile with a reef tank. Not all Pipefish need very low current or no other fish to compete with. Some are very adept at being mixed in with other types.

Cool

that pipefish sounds interesting! I have very little SPS at the moment and just maybe 3 acros. I did notice a few small mites on my green giant [nick name] acro frag.Now, I know many have used inceptor [spelling?] with good results after 3! trys but I'm not convinced that even after that they can't return. If 1 small guy makes it he can repopulate and there has also been talk of them becoming resisent and then what? I like the QT/DIP before entering the tank. I also would like to try the natural method if possible with the pipe fish greg mentioned.I'm really not into adding ANY chemicals into my tank,we just don't know the long term effects.

DAN
    Johnny
    Ivan had three of those pipe fish he got in the last order
    chegk with him ,he might still have one that was about a week an a half ago!!!!!
    Dan
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

There was still one there last weekend - very cool fish. Seems to have pretty finicky needs, much like mandarins or seahorses i.e. strong "bug" population, multi feedings on fine live feeds, etc. I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with this species.
    Keep passing the open windows!

I bought 2! I'm picking them up sunday and I'll keep all informed. I don't really have a redbug issue or plague but I do have them on 1 frag so I'd like to try perminant measures of the natural kind. I have TONS of pods and mysis and no real aggressive fish. Lots of room for the pair. I'll be QT/DIPPING all newcomer corals. Its really tuff not to trade frags so what choice do we have?? dip/qt

Awesome Johnny...I'll be looking forward to seeing them on the 20th and getting your opinion on their requirements.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast