Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: water change

water change

well yesterday was d day for me ..did a 50% water change ..,.. because my parameters were off... woke up to see all my sps and softies dead.. my fish seem alright but the water is very cloudy ..what the hell happen is still a mystery to me .. had still a bit of the water from yesterday change and I check for the ammonia but found none... took a reading of my tank and it went skyhigh took another one about 12 hours later and it drop quite a bit... any info wouild be taken thanks

Sorry to hear this ...50% change is a BIG change for a tank with sensitive corals in it. Was the new water a PERFECT match to the tank, Well aerated, Well mixed and heated?
    The bigger the change the more perfect the new water needs to be to that which is in the tank.
    Rob

the sg were the same and also the temp. should of had look at other parameters before a change like that.... live and learn

Yes you really need to match up the water very closely for a change of that size and make sure the new water is well aerated. If you don't match up the water it will dilute and change all the parameters of the tank pretty much as quick as you add it.
    Have you confirmed the SG of the display tank since doing the change?
    Rob

Why would you do a 50% water change?Did you have anything wrong?
    Derik...

How long before was the salt mixed? I've found that it really needs about 24 hours with aeration first.
    Susan

why is areation important? I have always mixed the water in a closed container and i have never had any problems.

I never dump new saltwater in my tank before at least 24 hours of areation, using a Maxijet 1200 powerhead in a plastic garbage container.

I match temperature and salinity only, and never exceed 15% of total water volume.

aeration, i thought meant adding air to the water with an airstone and airpump
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Aeration is important to oxygenate the water and to remove as much CO2 as possible.

The O2 is for obvious reasons. The CO2 is to help reduce possible pH issues.

Since your tank water should be saturated with O2, this will also help minimize any possible shock from changing things unnecessarily.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast