Thread: BTA question

BTA question

Hi All,

I have a simple question regarding BTA's. As they grow bigger over time, do the number of tentacles increase?

-40 dB
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Cool

yes and also they will split in most cases.

I've never counted myself, but they they must at least to a certain extent. I do not think they will necessarily split in "most" cases. Mine is absolutely HUGE, and is in no hurry to split.

Originally posted by ABahn
    and is in no hurry to split.
    HUH?!!! I thought you said it was starting to split and Matt was getting the 1st off spring?!

yep some get huge and many split. I'd rather mine get huge as well as I don't want to be chasing baby anenomes in my tank

Nope, not splitting, though I asked Matt for a splitting recipe, and he mentioned that he'd come over one evening with a knife! Hope he doesnt get pulled into the tank! This sucker is huge!

Often, amenomes will split when they get stressed from sensing something off in their environment. They do this as a survival thing in hoping to continue their lineage. Apparantly, they feel that they might not survive and split in hope that the offspring will have a chance of surviving. Why don't you stress the whole dang tank out?!!! ( just kidding!!).

My understanding is that there are two types of bta. The larger ones(up to a foot- like Otto's) just get larger and don't split very often, if at all. The smaller ones(6-8 inches), stay small but are more often splitting. And Greg is right, they often split out of stress, but not always.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high