Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: white water

white water

The water in my thank has become a whitish color this mornig. When I got the light on this moring it was ok, but after a while it was a withish collor. I changed the charcol in my fluval filter, could it be the charcaol is no good ?????

It was running all night and everything was ok, jutse started this morning to get white

any insight on this
    25g Reef

Any clams ....some reef inhabitants actually spawn.......though spawning would be cool........it is usually triggered by stress.

Who knows!

I agree with Fishprick that it might be a spawning event as 1 possibility. It would also benefit any other filter feeders you have in the tank as they will readily consumeit. Another possibility and this one is not that good, is that you could perhaps have a Calcium precipitation. Have you done any wyaer testing today? Is anything closed up or just not behaving normal?

I do`n`t have a calcium tester will bu one, but the new charcoal I bought is kinda shiny compared to the other one. and I wonder how the calcium could have raised so high.. MY clown are doing ok, eating well and seem to enjoy their new tank. Actualy at first the emerald crab tried to pinch them a few time but yesterday, the clown were hiding in the live rock and the crab didn`t seem to mind anymore.
    25g Reef

Do you dose anything in your tank? What have you been measuring for up till now? What brand is the charcoal? Some charcoals can be shiny. It is a hard substance that has shiny surfaces. Have you ever seen bigger charcoal pieces that used to be used for stoves? They are very shiny.

Talking white water rafting

well, since your tank is VERY new and you have no clams and just a few snails I'm inclined to believe that it is a bacterial bloom. This has happened to myself in the beginning as well as a phyto bloom which you will also probaly experience in the future. some call this green water. Your tank will become really really green! Mine lasted a month and then just disappeared as quick as it came. Just keep running your carbon and let it balance itself out. Make sure all of your inhabitants are accounted for and at this point keep testing for amm,and trates. You should be okay though.

Considering your tank was just set up a couple months ago...can you list the results from any and all the tests you are doing on the tank.
    eg: ammon, nitrites, nitrates, PH and SG....what temp. do you keep your tank at also?
    What kind of lighting are you using and how long is it on during the day?
    Have you made any changes other than the charcoal recently?
    Have you done any water changes and how much was changed?
    Cheers

I'd be inclined to go along with Johnny Rock's analysis that it's most probably a bacterial bloom.

I had the same thing hapen as well.

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree, upon first impression, this seems to be a bacterial bloom.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tsk tsk...people are always just so fast to pass judgement....lol
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast