Thread: Deep Sand Bed

Deep Sand Bed

Many people have told me that using a DSB will crash. I have been ruuning my 112 gal. rref tank using a 4" DSB raised on a 1" eggcrete with great success---my question is, who's tank has crashed because of this system--what were the symptoms, what died and what did you do to fix the problem.,

By the sounds of things you are actually running a plenum setup due to the void under the sand. There have been a few stories of tanks crashing but this seems to be few and far between. Some now run their DSB and or plenum in a their sump so it can be isolated if need be. I have not seen any posts in a long time about DSB related tank crashes.
    Rob

Do a search on RC and you'll have hours of reading to do there. It's seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon over there wanting to go BB...

Greg .. are they going straight BB or BB with a DSB in the sump or other location. BB is a complete throw back to when I first got into the hobby and pristine conditions were the rule.
    Rob

i run a 5-6 inch dsb for 6 years because of the looks, my wrasses and my anemones love the stuff. all my waterchange water comes from vacuuming the dsb once a month. you should see what i suck outta there. i think thats the key to it not crashing. if its neglected, just think of whats sitting in there. water changes wouldnt save you there. neglect=crash, not the dsb itself.

Cool

no no no, never ever vacuum your sandbed your not supposed to have to vacuum it,there should be enough sand critters[snails cukes conchs etc] to gentle move the top layer.
    theres 2 types of bacteria working at different levels and if you go to deep your wrecking the efficientcy of the Dsb.not to mention possible releasing toxic gas.you don't have enough flow if crud is building up and get more critters in the DSB.

Rob,
    it seems like the "fad" of the week is to go complete BB!!! I personally think many are doing it because some of the others are doing it and these "newer" people tend to take RC as gospel.... Time will tell I guess.

Principl,
    A DSB should never be vaccummmed. If you have to do so, it's because YOU have neglected it and do NOT have enough sand stirrers in your tank. The key to a functioning sandbed is to have a variety of sand critters mixed in it to consume that crud your talking about.

i never new that. obviously i believe you guys but this is the first time ive heard this. i do have alot of sandcritters and vacuum my bed thinking i had too. sorry about giving the bad qdvice and thank you for settin me straight. damn, just bought a new vac. maybe ill use it a some type of body part enlarger.:doh!!:

According to Dr.Ron, a DSB should have a minimum of 6" but 8" would be best and more effective. As Toutouche mentionned, go to RC under Dr.Ron's forum and there will be a sticky that will explain everything. Those that crashed were because people stirred their sand bed and that released lots of gases and toxins

My 120g reef tank is three and a half years old and has a deep sandbed, approximately 5". I've always fed my tank very heavily. The only time I've ever had trouble with my DSB was when I had a large anthias who decided to dig to the very bottom. He did some major excavating and it caused an alage bloom. That's it, no crash. I only siphon it if there's cyano on it, like during the aforementioned bloom.

I really believe the key to a healthy DSB is lots of micro fauna. Worms, pods, snails, etc. Remember, when you are trying to build up your micro fauna - the more you feed the more you have. You obviously need some to start but you can often get fresh starter critters with a bit of good fresh live rock.

I've been running a 75g hospital tank bare bottomed for the past 6 weeks. I moved fish from a reef like environment (my 300g butterfly tank) to the bare 75g and they do not like it one bit. For the first week they were constantly frightened of the bottom. They are used to it now but I will never get used to it - ugly and just not natural.

This is the guide I used when setting up my DSB, Dr. Ron Shimek knows his stuff:
    http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
    Susan