Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Pipefish

My Pipefish

Well, after having this guy for quite a few months, I was finally able to get some half decent pics of this guy.., at least decent enough to make him out!! This guy is not easy to photograph as he's small and somewhat shy when the lights are on. When the actinics are only on or all lights off, this guy is all over the tank and not afraid of the bigger fish either. It actually cleans them sometimes. This guy basically eats the same as a Mandarin does.

It's an African Bluestripe Pipefish ( Doryrhamphus excisus). The colors can be seen somewhat in these pics, but it doesn't do it justice. In real life it's body is an actualy gold color with very nice intense neon blue stripes running the mength.

2nd pic...

Sorry about the quality of these pics, but as I mentioned this guy is not an easy one to snap a pic of...

Neat Greg .. how small is he. I love the tail on him
    Rob

is it easy to maintain?

and what is the min gallonage on tank?

Rob,
    Yeah compared to the rest of it's body, the tail looks out of place!! Right now, it's only abou 1 1/2" long.., still a baby but is supposed to grow to about 5".

X-link,
    As I mentioned, it feeds basically like a Mandarin so I guess the parameters would be the same ( and you can see on this little guy that he's finding lots of goodies to eat by the size of his belly).
    Many people always believed that pipefish could not be kept in a community reef tank and needed a specialized tank as do SeaHorses. Now there is more info and there are basically 2 types of Pipefish. The "Clingers" that hang on as do SeaHorses and feed off of live planktonic things swimming in the water ( these are still the harder ones to keep) and then there are the "Pickers" that are always free swimming and don't hand on with their tails. Usually you can get an idea by looking at it's tail for the oversized rudder that helps it stay in control in higher currents. These spend the day like a Mandarin searching in the rockwork and picking at it. They swim in the currents with no problem either. This guy as I mentioned, is all over the tank when it's darker.

tiny little thing isn't he. Looks pretty cool thou. I'm with
    x-link, what is the gallonage to house one of those?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

to slow with the question. sorry
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

As I said, like a Mandarin...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast