Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salt mixes

salt mixes

Hi, I am getting ready to start my tank cycling and was doing some reading on salt mixes. I've heard that some people have some problems when changing salt brands, so I would like to keep using the same brand in my tank.

I'm trying to decide which brand to use. In my research I came across an article in reefkeeping mag that was comparing different salt mixes to natural seawater. I was going to use instant ocean but this article has made me wonder.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.htm

Does anybody have any experience with Marinemix Bioassay or Bio-Sea Marinemix. Can you even get these mixes here in canada? I dont think I have ever seen them in my shopping and price comparing. And I have done alot of that

Thanks

I think most people use Instant Ocean. I use that and red sea. Never herd of Marinemix.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Ya for the most part I think people here use Instant Ocean. Well except for some of the people living on the coast of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Some of them use actual sea water. I can't wait for the day when I'm living back home in Newfoundland and I can go get my saltwater directly from the ocean. Ahhhh the life.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

IMO you should decide which brand you want to use based on availably, quality, and price. Then you should stick to that brand. Changing brands after setting up just adds yet another un-needed variable to wonder about when / if something goes wrong.
    Rob

I use bioassy marinemix, It's a good salt, but calcium is at 390 when you mix it. Most people who use it have great results. If you look at the tanks of the month on RC in the past year most of them were using this salt. The only thing you should never do is start out with IO or reef crystals and change to marine mix.....everything will go downhill. Also i buy my salt from a company in Ontario. 150g mix costs $50 which is really good.

What if you did a slow transition? Say for the first water change 90% IO 10% Bioassy, then a couple months later change to 80/20, 70/30 etc. Would that be a slow enough transition?
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Because of the dilation factor you will actually never completely remove the original water. but if you intend to try you have the right idea about how to do it.
    Rob

Cmarty01 - I tried exactly that when I switched from Instant Ocean to Crystal Seas. It was a disaster. I don't think you can do it gradually enough. I really think the best thing to do is to pick a brand and stick with it. Some salts just don't mix.
    Susan

I use Instant Ocean and I have just a little bit left.
    Over the Christmas Holidays I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased two buckets of Red Sea from Big Als.
    Will I have this issue of mixing salts?? Argh....
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Yes you "may" have issues when you do the change over. IMO any water change and especially a water change that includes a salt brand change or salinity adjustment should be done in the same manner as acclimating stock to your tank. remove the percentage intended and add the new well mixed and matched water very slowly. Acclimate the tank to the new water.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast