Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flow - Too much?!?!

Alright... 65 gallons...

2 Maxi-Jet's 1200's (one in each corner pointing towards the mildle).

And I also have the return from my sump that is Aprox. 650 gph.

Thought?

Marc

I don't think so, but it really depends on what you are doing in your tank.

its never too much
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

It's recommended to have a minimum of 10x the flow per gallon. So, your 65 gallon tank should have a minimum of 650 gph, which you have.
    The maxi-jet 1200's will deliver 295gph each, so you have an additional 590gph. So, you're covered.
    And as i2ik said, "it's never too much".
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I have read on RC that the minimum is 20X and many people were telling that they had 30-40 times and even few people were telling that they had 65x... I think it depends on the kind of coral you wish to have. I would like to see what Toutouche, reefmutt, One salty dog, Tang man Montreal etc think aout that topic !!!

Steve

Within the tank itself and within the realm of common sense you can not have too much water movement. However what you can do is direct that flow incorrectly and stress corals, fish and the cleanup crew. I like to direct the strongest flow over and slightly above the corals.. the upper 1/3 of the tank for most setups. Somewhat less flow can be directed at dead spots and or corners but again not directly at life that can not move out of the way if it dose not like the current. When you direct strong flow in the upper area that water movement will have a powerful lifting effect on the water that is below and that water will become mixed with the high flow water. This is how it works in the real world. Wind and waves move surface water which draws deeper water upward to be mixed in and aerated by wave action.
    As for sump turnover rates ... 10 X the total setups water volume is considered the MAX.
    Rob

Cool

all depends what you want to keep, if your sps crazy then good flow is a must, mixed tank needs decent flow and you'll have to know were! to place things. LPS love gentle flow and little surges as do clams. The alternating current is an awsome idea, REEFRATS,OCEANMOTIONS, SEASWITRLS ETC.

OSD when you said 10X for the sump do you mean for a refugium or for the sump itself ( where We place our skimmer and heater) ?

Steve

I have about 4x turnover from my sump and through the whole sump/fuge system. for a reef tank without biological filtration, sump turnover is not as important as good turnover in the display tank. And Raceface, no, you don't have too much flow, you might even consider adding another powerhead or two and put them on simple timers to add some random/irregular flow patterns to the tank. All corals love to have irregular flow patterns. As long as the sand on the bottom isn't blowing away and your corals are not totally pushed flat by current and can expand well, you are ok.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I am referring to the equipment sump. the refuge would be better off with somewhat less flow. think of the refuge as a separate aquarium with NO fish. do the math to discover the refuge water volume and send about 10X its volume through it. So if for example your refuge part of your sump/ refuge is only 10 gallons you would only need about 100 gallons an hour of the systems water going through it. the 10 X rule applied but it is 10 X the refuges volume alone. You can do this with a small power head or properly placed flow control valves.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast