Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aqua C Remora vs. Prizm Pro Delux

I currently have a prizm pro delux smiller for my 50 gal tank which seems to have been working fine and still kind of is... tank chemistry is fine and water is clear but hetting alot of micro bubbles when I turn it up and recently getting a oil slick looking film at the top surface of the water if I bring the surface skimmer right to top water level then it clears it out in 20 min or so.

So... is this the skimmer problem or should I switch or is there something that I can do?

Well, the main problem I always had when using a surface skimmer was that the water level took no time at all to drop below the area of the surface skimmer which draws in the film that builds up on the surface of the water thus why you probably keep the surface skimmer lower in the water. You will find the same problem with the Remora series skimmers although the sucton area may be a little deeper allowing for more water level flexibility. I have heard good things about the Prism Pro version skimmer so I would say its just an issue with keeping the surface skimmer at the right level for the job.

The microbubbles are an issue with the air mixture being adjusted too high. You only want it high enough to create a good quality foam, that however is an issue with that style of skimmer is that they can be finicky.

IMO I wouldnt go out and buy a new Remora, although they are good skimmers, I found that without the prefiler/bubble trap no length of breakin stopped the microbubbles. The only way I solved 90% of my problems with my skimmer was to drill the tank, install an overflow, and put the skimmer in the sump.

Hope this helps.

I have a Remora Pro with a homebuilt surface skimmer. The surface skimmer is basically a box that surounds the power head in the tank. I built the surface skimmer to rid of the "oil slick" found at the surface of the water. I too had a lot of problems with water level. I settled it once and for all when I put the water top-off float switch inside the surface skimmer box. Works like a charm. No problem with bubbles (although I did in the first month or so).

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

how do you build the surface skimmer. i to have been having trouble with the "oil slick" however im using a bakpak 2r

I simply bought some 3 mm acrylic, cut pieces out of it to form a box. I used some acrylic solvant to glue the pieces together. I think Remora sells such a box.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Remora does and I think it's 49.00 from J&L Aquatics my problem is not the skimmer surface box it's that I have to keep it soo close to the surface for the sucktion to be great enough to pull the oily slick in otherwise it cant keep up... If I turn the flow up I get more micro bubbles... I cant win

I keep the water surface of my sumpless system clear with a Maxijet 1200 positioned fairly close to the top.

Originally posted by treqx
    I keep the water surface of my sumpless system clear with a Maxijet 1200 positioned fairly close to the top.
    Thats another good point, no matter how much you like to have a calm surface to a tank, it just isnt doing any good. by placing a powerhead close enough to the surface to get some good ripples but not so close as to start pulling air down, you mix the surface film back into the water where the skimmer can easily draw it in, thus you can lower your surface skimmer and turn down the air mixture.

Surface ripples have also been known to promote coral expansion as it simulates random rays of sunlight pnetrating the water.

i have a ripple on the surface, i never had this trouble before until i added a refug. since then ive had this film. in hesitant about adding another powerhead as it may cause to much current. im only running a 35g. i will maybe try the powerhead just for a day or so and if not then try the skimmer box..

Deafboy: how did you attach the box to the skimmer pump?

Originally posted by atlantic

Deafboy: how did you attach the box to the skimmer pump?
    Good question. If you look at the picture, you will see a paperclip (!). I drilled a small hole through the lip of the aquarium plastic top edge and through the skimmer box. The paperclip goes through both holes and holds everything in place. The water level in the box is about 1" below the tank water level. Because of this, the box floats (like a boat) and butts against the plastic aquarium lip.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast