Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry ugly MONTI,CAP WORMS

does anyone know the name of those stupid worms that like to grow in the CAPS, and throw out a web to catch food? they make the MONTIPORA CAPS, look ugly as they use its calcium to build its little tube/home. How can I stop these from migrating to other CAPS? just kill them with a long pin?:guns:

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    They're actually snails..

Vermetid snails.

They're not all that bad, as they are planktonic feeders. They're just ugly at times.

Like any organism, a sudden increase in their number and presence is an indication of water quality and increased nutrients.

If you have just a couple and they're not really multiplying, I wouldn't worry too much about them...

Toutouche used to have lots of them too. I think his copperband took care of them.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

yeh, there in the MONTI,CAP he gave me a while back. I would like to get rid of them though

Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
    Like any organism, a sudden increase in their number and presence is an indication of water quality and increased nutrients.
    I wouldn't exactly say this, unless you mean that the water quality is good for organisms to grow, then I would agree. I don't think of them as detrimental or ugly, just think that they are an increase in the biodiversity. They are actually good for the tank in the sense that they help filter the water and no, my Copperband doesn't touch them.

John,
    I remember you asking me on the weekend if they are detrimental to the corals they are on. IMO, the answer is no. I've asked others about this too and they all agree. Do you kill the little FDusters that pop up on your rock?.... no, do you kill the sponges that appear?... no. These guys are no different. In the beginning, I too worried about them and that they'd multiply too much, but they don't. After awhile, they won't bother you anymore. They only put out their nets when you have lots of stuff floating around in the water such as when you feed or clean the glass anyways. It's funny how we are always trying new ways to "feed the tank" yet once things pop up, we want to erradicate them. I agree with this if it's something detrimental to what we are keeping in the tanks, but not if they are harmless and actually a part of the whole Live Rock filtering process.
    If you "must" kill them, then do the same as you would for Aiptasia as these treatments are usually harmful to ANY living organism. I wouldn't though.

Unhappy toutouche

I definatly respect your opinion but what I'm finding now is that they are out of control and that they disfigure the coral a lot! You see those lovely pics of CAPS, growing in spiral shapes but mine just kinda shread out flat and to me ugly because the snail/worm growth forces them out this way. I'd prefer diversity but at what cost? I could have a tank full of corals with each having its own host but if the host takes over then I have a tank full of hosts!. Plus each time I feed I have net all over the place,looks gross. Feather dusters on the other hand stay on the rock and do look lovely.

john rock

I believe I have the exact same thing you are talking about in my tank...I actually took a couple pictures of the little tubes to see if anyone could indentify them. They are about a few mm long and they do let out a net at certain times. I find them multiplying on my LR and even a piece of dead coral I have in my tank. They are very hard and have a little white tip where the web comes out of. Seems they don't like the bright light areas to progate. Does this sound like what you have?
    I'm not sure how well the pics will turn out but I'll see if I can upload them to take a look later.
    Cheers

A bit of reading

Here is a link I found that talks about the Vermetid snails http://www.aquarium.net/0897/0897_8.shtml
    Cheers

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    This is a Vermetid snail:

As per Reef Invertabrates these guys have very few natural predators. I was wrong about the Copperband.

As for what you can do.... Not sure. You don't want to wipe them all out at once. If you REALLY wanted to try something, you could try to use 2 part epoxy (like what Greg and I use to attach corals) to close up the snail's tube opening. They retract into their tube by instinct, so it wouldn't be too hard.

You could also try prying out the actual tube with the snail still in it.

Not sure if either of the above would work though.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

thats the guys, A few would be okay but theres over 20 just in that CAP, alone and it's starting to look terrible.

Here's an article on them that I found. It might help:

http://www.aquarium.net/0897/0897_8.shtml

Now throw me some KARMA...hahahahaha! I'm liking this Karma stuff.

:biggrinbo :biggrinbo :biggrinbo
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast