Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Base Rock - Glueing?

Hey All,

Want to pick up some base rock for my new tank. HiRock sells golfball to baseball sized rock pretty cheap, curious if I can't use silicone or a similar substance to cement all these tiny rocks together for a cool custom reef or should I quit while I'm ahead and buy bigger rocks?

Let me know!

If you are going to use silicon, spend the few extra $$ and get the proper stuff from the pet store. We re-siliconed a tank with silicanoe from CT that was "Aquarium and Marine safe" and lost quite a few fish. The water developed an awful smell and had a scum on the water. I can't prove that it was the silicone but we tore down the tank, removed the silicone and redone it with the proper stuff and have had no trouble since! It cost more and comes in a smaller tube but IMO it's well worth it!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your problems! Was the silicone fully dry before you added water?

Anyone else run into problems using regular silicone?
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

use fishing wire (transparent vinyl) sorry do not know the exact name in english

it's best thing...

after using aquarium glue...one of my coral died..even the glue was for marine aquarium...i will not trust anymore any chemical product

YES! It was setting up for almost two weeks before the water went in the tank! not a huge deal though cause it was a FW tank so losing 10-15 fish only cost me about $30 and maybe another $20 in plants. We had originally been planing on setting it up for our Baby Lionfish but he didn't make it so we threw some plants and a bunch of Guppies and Killies in there. Was a nice tank though and it hasen't looked that good since. Gonna have to make it Saltwater soon I think......

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I find the above strange considering the majority of tanks use silicon and many, many reefers use glue to affix their plugs.

Any feedback from people succesfull with silicon or similiar products?

Although I can't comment for glueing rocks with Silicone, I used "GE Silicone I" from HD, about 3-5$ a tube to "glue" my baffles in my sump in place. Make sure you get the Silicone I and NOT the Siicone II with "mildew resistance" chemicals. Ive heard of many people using this silicone with no issues, I have been using it in my sump for 3 months now with my main tank and so far so good!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

You can use silicone, you just have to use the right type!

Right type:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1419409

Wrong type:

http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...3&prodhdrid=25

This is not the extact one that I used but it was this type of container. I got it at CT, I think it was a dap product. On the back it clearly stated "safe for aquariums amd marine use" The first on is the right type. When we re-siliconed the tank, this is the one we used and have had no trouble since!

Good pointers!

Think it will hold rock to rock?

Cool

LADY P what is aquarium glue??
    silicone won't last holding rocks together. you can tie them as mentioned, you can drill them and insert small acrylic rods or you can cement them together [best method] but they will have to cure in fresh water for 4 to 6 weeks until ph falls. It might even be less time as your just sticking them together and not actually making rock. personally, I would buy bigger pieces and use those for something else or some were else in the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast