Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mantis questions

Hi Folks,

I caught a small mantis shrimp in my tank tonight. It's about 1.5 cm, beautifully colored and is of the 'smasher' variety. Over the last month or so I've lost an emerald crab, several hermits, all 20 of my nasarius snails, some of my regular turbo snails and just two nights ago my cleaner shrimp.

I'm now very worried and here is why ... I've added nothing new to my tank for 8 months now and that last addition was a piece of live rock, so my guess is he came then, but,

Questions;

- because he's so small (1.5cm) should I assume there are more?
    - how quickly do they grow?
    - what trap has worked best for you? (preferably a diy solution)
    - why was he out-and-about with lights full on?
    - at his size (1.5cm), and assuming he's the only one in the tank, would he have been able to take down my cleaner (at 8cm) single handedly? and my emerald crab (at 5cm) single handedly?

He looks so cool, I'm tempted to keep him in may QT for a while

I'm interested in these questions as well. I'm still fighting to get the one I have out. Mine looked pretty cool too. To bad they are so destructive.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

hes still winnign eh mike let me know when you get him i got some frags waiting for ya
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

ya he's getting the best of me.Smart little bugger. I'm getting pretty nervous because i'm getting my tank drilled this week and i'm hoping that he will be out soon. I still got some stuff to get before I do the transfer from my 55 to my 75 but it's comming fast.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

good to hear good luck with the upgrade did you think of maybe taking out the rock he lives in and putting it in fresh water till he comes out? not sure if it will work or not but its an idea
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

If he lives in a paticular piece of LR, Just take it out and give the whole rock to whoever is taking the shrimp. I'm sure they would probably trade you for a piece of rock of similar size and weight. If that is you can get him in a paticular piece. I think you had said he is in a few!?!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

These shrimps are becoming a regular occurrence. I guess it's just luck of the draw (or lack of it) when you get your LR shipment!
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

I think it is a plot from the "cleaner crew" sales industry.

These Mantis shrimp are purging tanks of their cleaner crews and thus, demand for new ones.

Okay, that might be a bit of a stretch, but, I'm keeping my tinfoil hat for now.

:biglaugh2
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Anyone have any answers to the questions in my post?

Re: Mantis questions

Originally posted by SloHand

- because he's so small (1.5cm) should I assume there are more?
    - how quickly do they grow?
    - what trap has worked best for you? (preferably a diy solution)
    - why was he out-and-about with lights full on?
    - at his size (1.5cm), and assuming he's the only one in the tank, would he have been able to take down my cleaner (at 8cm) single handedly? and my emerald crab (at 5cm) single handedly?

He looks so cool, I'm tempted to keep him in may QT for a while
    I don't think there will be more than one even though he is small, if there is more than one in a small spaces they will usually fight and you will hear it..."clicking" sounds..

How fast they grow depends on the species of them most likely, you can always try and get more pics and ask Dr. Roy on RC in the Mantis forum to give you an ID on him..

Looks like most people have succes with a "minnow" style trap. Basically take a plastic bottle, cut the neck off to create a funnel, then insert the "funnel" upside down in the bottle to create a "funnel" tunnel to go IN the bottle but a simple hole the size of the bottle mouth to get out, you can secure both pieces together with some tie straps...here is a pic.. (http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/ima...ap-websize.jpg)

Mantis are quite an interesting creature, they will come out even with lights on, mine does... depending on sp. some are more reclusive then others..

I can't say for sure if he took down the crab and shrimp...I wouldn't be surprised as I heard alot of horror stories about Mantis Shrimp's taking on bigger creatures than them...Here are some links to read about them..
    http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/index.htm
    http://www.grimreefers.com/forums/in...p?showforum=11
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.htm

Id say keep him, I have a Mantis "pet" in a 10G aquarium, they are very cool!!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast