Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Three pics of dying leather???

im gonna show you three pics over a time of about 6 months. this is one of the easiest corals to keep and its dying, so it seems. tell me im wrong. its not water quality because everything else is healthy. is it a change as it matures, i doubt it. look at the stalk. is it because i have it on a dead brain which is home to and full of pods? nothing ever really wants to live on it. i was gonna take it out but dude is stuck to it. can i frag'em? can i cut the stalk in to two and throw out the bubble algae lovin dead braincoral. i did vacuum all the bubble algae off of that brain and rest of tank. he hasnt really adjusted since he's been in the path of new sea swirl. but that cant be it. they dont mind 500 gallons sweepin by there heads once every thirty seconds. patiently waiting your diagnosis':crap:

this is about 2 months ago

this was yesterday. whats up?

or am i paranoid??

I only see 1 pic and it looks fine. I'm assuming this is the before ( and doing great) pic...

By the way, yes a SeaSwirl blowing right on it can be too much to let it open up. All LPS and softies should usually get moderate flow. Bubble algae also tends to grow around the bases of lots of corals, inhibiting them to grow their stem any, therefore not allowing them to grow the body too. Kinda like how a tree has to grow and expand it's roots to hold the tree up in order for the tree to grow too. I usually do some gardening and remove all the bubbles around the bases of corals as regualr maintenance..., especially the SPS.

Ooops!! Posted too early. It's hard to tell from the somewhat fuzzy pic of the base, but is that actual bubble algae growing on the stem of the leather? There is "definitely" something happening to the stem!!

thanx toutouche, ya the first pic is the healthy pic. maybe the pic is too big. ill move the flow out of his face an see what happends, coraline just wont grow on that brain. i constantly brush the algae off of it at the same time a siphoning. i have high calcium and it just wont stick to the brain. when i put it in, i had thought that it would be pink in no time. four years later, and still green. i want it out, can i cut the leather or will it die.

maybe i can just pull him off???? slowly

You probably already though about these but just gonna think out loud here and try to help you I hope....

Could it be molting? the base kinda looks like it a bit...If so you probably know they often don't look too good when that happens...

How many anemones do you have in the tank? I dont remember where I saw it but I read somewhere that leathers and anemones are notorious for toxin warfares...

They do like enough flow to be able to molt easier and to get "food" but the really should not be in too muck flow... I would say moderate (if your's was used to lower flow maybe it needs more time to get used to the new flow?)

Have you changed anything in the past few months? salinity of water...more live stock to the tank.... I say that cause not long ago we decided that we were gona bring up our salinity (very slowly) to what most people were saying they had theirs (1.023-24-25) from the 1.021 we were operating for the last...well forever... and the first to start "bitching" were the leathers

I'm sure someone else will have other ideas...HTH
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

see, im not crazy, i just took this pic 30 seconds ago. sorry for the bad pic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast