Oil slick part 2

OK, I just bought a surface attachment for my fluval to help get rid of some of the oil slick that was happening within my tank as per my previous post (last week) . I have also cleaned out my fluval and changed all the carbon and foam pads as well as the bio max since I was working on it.

My tank almost instintaniously turned a cloudy purplish coulor.. I'm thinking its the "oil slick" that was at the top of the water and now is being pushed through the fluval and into the tank or could it be the new carbon and so on that I changed in the fluval??? Nothing seems to be bothering the fish or the corals and I will be doing a test on the tank this evening but though maybe I would get some responce here as well
    water before was VERY clear.

Did you rinse all the new filter materials before using them.
    Rob

I would be willing to bet that you never rinsed the carbon before you put it in like Rob said. ALWAYS read the package of new stuff that you are adding!!!! Nothing worse than hearing the big Oops. Especially in this addiction (or rather hobby) because it could be very costly!!! Something to think about
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Everything was fully rinsed out (carbon, foam pads and the bio max... I even washed out the fluval from some algea that was in there) .. So no oops in my case. Do you think that it could be the protein from the top of the water now being pulled from the top and back into the water again from the fluval surface skimmer?
    PS - Mike.. I'll take that bet

Cool

the carbon has to be rinsed REAL good under cold water,even then sometimes theres particles that get in. The oil slick your seeing from the food is a pain with sumpless tanks and no skimmer. the floating attachment you bout works a bit but not much. My first tank was a 65g nondrilled and I had this problem. I bought a hang on skimmer and it worked but released small bubbles into the tank. went with a drilled tank and sump and skimmer=no more problems

I know what you mean Johnny Rock... Until I get my 75 gal tank this is the way I have to stay for now. The fluval surface skimmer is doing a ok job.. Better than before but no miracles (which I didn't expect anyways) so I'm happy with the results.. The tank is clearer today.. strange must have been some particles left over in the meterials that I added even though I cleaned it under cold water VERY extensivly.. Oh well... Thanks everyone for the input and advice.
    PS - previous to this I was having problems with spurts of micro bubbles and with the new fluval surface attachment added on no more micro bubble spurts... Coincidence? Maybe, but for 15 bux it was worth the investment.