Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Polyps

Sun Polyps

Hello all.
    Let me start by saying a thank you to Ivan.
    I just got off him a nice sun polyps piece
    I am extremely happy. it's beautiful. Saw it open and looks wow for color and even closed I find it still looking good. I got the placement down and got the method down how I most likely going to feed it and what to feed it. But my question is how often ?
    Call all sun polyps owners.

ijo
    Since he was in my care for many months I guess I should tell you how I've kept him happy.

I first use Cyclop-eeze to feed the fish and anything else that wants the next best thing to sliced bread fish food. This gets the Sun Polyps going and they are fully open in 15-30 minutes.

Once they have fully opened I feed them frozen mysis or any other frozen meaty food I can find. I take the frozen cube or chunk and shake it in front of each polyp as it defrosts. The food will stick to the polyps and they will start to close up...

Unfortunately my arm gets wet.. but these guys are well worth the trouble in my opinion. I do this 3 times a week and havent had any problems. You can actually see the extra growth on them (bright orange along the rim).

They are definately one of my fav corals... I think one of my future projects will be to create a nano tank full of yellow, orange and black sun polyps.

I'm glad your happy with the new addition... keep me updated on his/her/its progress.

IJO

I also receive a sun polyp frag from IJO yesterday and think this thing kicks ass... although feeding was a little tricky by hand to get all the polyps fed I'll give a turkey baster a try tonight.

I'm going to be trying the top of a 2l pop bottle. I remember at one of the meeting where someone was saving this is how he feeds his. Puts it over top of it and when the polyps are open they blast it with frozen food that way every polyp should get something with out any of the other tank mates getting at it and stealing the food.

Hey IJO, what nights where you feeding it ?

ijo
    There were no specific nights... I would go every second or third day. i found they were real easy to keep happy.

IJO

feeding

I feed twice weekly and sometimes 3x. The pop bottle is almost a must if you have thieves in the tank! I'm very glad that you got your POLYPS after all POWDERBLUE and now you'll see why it was so hard to part with them. Did you get the orange/yellow ones or strickly yellow?

Thanks all for the info.

I know John Rock how nice they are I've always wanted then the color is to me unmatchible, that why I jump one your when you said they where for sale. Glad you keep them though, Really nice coral. The ones I got where the orange and yellow.
    Hey John rock how do you use the pop bottle ?
    Do you weigh it down or just hold in place and for how long ?

I cut the bottom off a 2 litre and just sort of jam it in the san a tad. never goes anywere.

I was probably me at the meeting talking about the feeding methods. You are lucky, in that you recieved a "trained" coral from Ivan. It's alot tougher getting one that has been neglected (mine came from BA's). It took me six weeks to get mine opened up and feeding.....and alot of food wastage causing algea outbreaks

Use the soda bottle if you have any crabs, shrimp etc. that may annoy the coral like Johnny said. "I feed twice weekly and sometimes 3x. The pop bottle is almost a must if you have thieves in the tank!"

The only thing I will add to what Johnny said, is that these guys love to eat, and will eat just about as often as you feed them. The more you feed, the more they will open up and look awsome. The problem, is that they are "messy" eaters and there is alot of waste food, so you need lots of scavengers, to get the leftovers, otherwise it will rot and cause algae blooms.

Another thing: get a turkey baster if you don't already have one, and a towel to wipe your arm. :dance:

Mine didn't seem to open as well tonight.. guessing maybe it was because the light has been on since noon or they are still full from last night's feeding....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast