Food for thought

A question to everyone. Has anyone ever broken it down as to how much each meal cost to feed their fish? I see alot of people around here that put alot of additives and mix up concoctions of mulitiple items for food. Just wondering?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

well it just costed me 16 cents to feed the anemone for the week...lol and I dont really want to break down how much I spend on the fish one way or the other.... would be too scary!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

I've never broken it down per meal but I know I spend about $100 on frozen food every month. Mind you this is for 4 tanks and I do tend to feed rather heavily.
    Susan

Gee's how Know you have one big tank. How many more big ones do you have Flame Angel? I'd have to sell my lizards just to feed my fish in that case. What ever happened to just the fish flakes.

The reason i'm asking this is becasue thats all i feed my fish. Fish flakes. Do you think they hate me for that? Should I be feeding them more. I do give them a treat of Brine shrimp.Probably every second of third night. Food here is very limited and that I don't really know what to buy.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

i dont know if they hate you but i do know that theyll love you if you buy a few different types of frozen food. i buy brine, mysis and plankton and nori plus pellets. flake is dirty and messy. i mix all five together everyday. if i put youin a glass box and fed you burgers, you'd like me for the first week, but after a few months you'd hate me and hope I'd throw in some fries once in a while. hth

Variety is the spice of life.
    You can buy a bag of assorted seafood from the grocery store. Throw out the cooked pieces (if there are any), blend up the rest, put mix in a freezer bag (when frozen, it will be a thin sheet that you can easily break bits off). Our fish go nuts when we feed them this. We also have brine (as a snack - we all like junk food sometimes), mysis, krill, cyclopeeze - I swear, this guys eat better than I do.

i never think about it.....i spend so much on the tank i never add it up....it would scare me.....

I'd say I spend about $60-$80 a month on fish food. I have 4 SW and 2 FW tanks right now. So if you break that down to 2 feedings a day for each tank, that's a total of 12 feedings a day! Times 30 days in a month=360 feedings! $80 divided by 360 feedings=$0.2222222222222! $80 seems like a lot till you break it down! "for just 22 cents a day you can foster these beautiful Marine fish!" LOL!

As for total cost.....I tried to add it up once but I had to stop. It got a little depressing. I use to keep all of my receipts saying that I one day would add them up but I have since thrown them out. I think if I ever found out exactly how much money I spent on fish, I'd have to check myself into the Looney Bin!! LOL!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I have a 75g predator tank (lionfish), a 120g reef tank and a 300g butterfly tank. I feed frozen foods with a vitamin supplement at every meal, feeding 3 times a day plus a snack of brine shrimp at night. Sometimes I'll feed them a snack of flakes in between meals.

Personally I don't think that flakes alone is enough nutrition for most marine fish. That said there are plenty of people feeding only flakes and they'll tell you that their fish are just fine. I have noticed that whenever anyone sees my fish they comment on how plumpe they are and how bright their colours are. Mine seem to grow faster and larger than other people who I've known got the same fish the same size at the same time. Another thing I've noticed is that well fed fish are less aggressive and less likely to pick at clams and corals.
    Susan