Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question marine additives

im about to order some additives for my tank. just wanted to get some opinions.
    im looking at products such as:

Kent:
    liquid calcium
    liquid reactor
    kalkwasser mix
    Pro•Buffer dKH

Seachem:
    Reef Complete
    Reef Calcium
    Reef Kalkwasser
    Reef plus

There are so many products and i just wanted to see what everyone is using and what you guys are finding the best results with. im only running PC lights, so i mostly have shrooms, leathers and such.
    thanks

If you are doing regular water changes, all you will need is somethig to stabalise alkalinity ( my personal favourite is Seachem reef builder) this will in turn stabalise the ph. You could have something to raise calcium (my fav. is seachem reef adv. calcium.)- even though you probably won't need it that much with shrooms and leathers- and regular water changes.
    You could also do all of this with Kalkwasser alone, if you are willing to mix it and drip it every night.
    That's all you really need. Again, the regular water changes will reduce the need for these things and the w.c.s will simply give you an overall happier tank. Obviously you will use purified water for the mixed salt- or nsw.
    the liquid reactor is simply pulverised aragonite gravel which is supposed to dissolve in the tank and give you some benefits associated with a calcium reactor. And on a 35 gal. tank, it might actually do it a little. Maybe worth the purchase.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

thing is im not doing water changes on a regular basis. every time ive done water chages the tank spins into a world wind of problems. therefore i mosty only top off. water changes for me are rare. so i do need additives. kalkwasser is almost too much trouble for my hectic schedual.

What kind of water do you use for water changes? And how many gallons do you usually change?

If you really don't want to do water changes and you don't have alot of time I would go with liquid calcium (such as Reef Complete), some reef builder and some reef plus.

By the way Atlantic, I have some some reef complete and reef builder at my house as well as some foods like spirulina, algaes and cyclopeeze if you are interested in them (no charge of course). They are useless to me. Let me know and I will drop them up to you.

Cool

water changes are a must IMO especially for smaller tanks. unless your tank is LOADED with hard corals theres no real need for additves. your tank will be better served with a 10 to 25% water changed monthly if you like. why and what kind of problems are you experiencing with water changes? you should see nothing but a good responce with your corals!

i use ro/di water. I usually do a 4 gal water change and i usually loose a fish, my corals stress and the tank tanks days to recover. so i try very hard not to do one. so im looking for additives. since my last top up, i lost a cardinal and my mushrooms have been cuped upwards like bowls.

Cool

well I can tell you something is not right then, water changes are a good thing and remove all kinds of crap. just topping off and using additves won't cut it. things build up in a tank and fresh water is really needed.
    what salt are you using:
    how long do you let it age:
    are you mixing with a powerhead and airstone:
    do you make sure water is at exact temp:
    do you check the ph of your RO water:
    are you using different salts once in awhile:

i know...something isnt right. i just dont know what.
    i use instant ocean. it is the only kind i use. i let it age for a few days mixing with a power head. temp is exactly the same and i always test the water before i add it.

Have you been using the same bag of instant ocean for a while? It could be a bad batch.

never thought of that....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast