Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

preferred return pump?

I'm going to be upgrading to a 90 gal with my existing 50 gal as a sump. What submersible return pump does everyone recommend?

Barry

ijo
    I would go with a MAG 12... lots of water flow... great pump.

IJO

MAG 12

I also use the MAG12 PUMP and I'm very happy with it.A suggestion made to me to late was to use 1" pipes instead of the 3/4" that it calls for. Also use SPA FLEX or FLEX P.V.C for the returns as it will help cut down on elbows used.

speaking of return lines, i'm planning on having corner overflows, what size returns do you recommend for the mag 12, assuming i'll use flex hose for the returns?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Barry,

I'd go with the Mag12, and 1" returns.

My 90 is set up this way.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ijo
    tang_man_montreal.. when you say returns... are you saying to have more than one return line?

IJO

For the small amount extra, I would go with the MAG18...I use this one with 3/4 inch returns that split into two retuns at teh tank...

I believe the more flow the better. Then again, I run my system through a 30 gallon refugium and a second 25 gallon refugium all in the same line.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:biggrinbo :biggrinbo :biggrinbo :biggrinbo
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I'll clarify.

I said returns because I have a SCWD that plumbed inline on the return from the sump. This gives me the alternating current that the SCWD is known for.

However, a TEE would also be good, so that not all water is returned in one area.

Mag18 would be nice, however, what is the diameter of your overflow's bulkhead? That will play a major role in deciding what return pump to use. If it's not big enough, you'll have a flood with too large of a pump.

This calculator (http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php) shows that you need a 1.75" diameter bulkhead to accomodate the Mag18's output. Ofcoarse, I'm not taking head loss into consideration. It gives you the general idea though.

i was thinking of using 2" bulkheads wth flex hose running to the sump. this should alow me to use either the Mag 12 or 18 without any flow problems to the sump regardless of headloss. i will however have a tee on the return lines to go to my above tank refugium, with a valve to limit the flow. what size pvc , 1" or 3/4" do you recommend for the return lines? Do you like the SCWD Tang Man Montreal and what amount of flow can they handle?

Barry,

You'll be more than ok with the 2" bulkheads. Like you said, no worries there.

I would suggest 1" return lines.

As for the SCWD. I'm happy with it. It's worth the price I paid for it. They can't handle anything above 1400gph though.
    Another problem is that they are very restrictive as they have 1/2" ID outlets. I plumbed everything with 1", except there, where I had to adapt down to that size.

With the Mag12, 1" Checkvalve, 4' headloss, going through the SCWD, the flow alternates every 7-8 seconds from side to side. I'd say that I'm at approximately 800gph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast