Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brain coral seems to be dying

Itís been a few days now that I noticed that my brain coral one of its mouths is worse than just open, it is totally gone and I see white skeleton. And it's been a few weeks that it isn't as inflated and full as it used to be. I fed it the other day and it took in the food. All my other corals are doing great and water parameters are good. If it is dying can I cut it in 2 and try the save it?? Or all this is normal. The only thing that I can think of is that I had a huge toadstool hanging right above it and blocking the light..... Toadstool is gone now

Not too sure about this one. Although if the leather was really blocking it, then that "might" be what caused it. keep a watch on it to see if it increases. What type of brain is it? Depending on the type it is, they can be either a beginner coral or an advanced type.

her's a pic of it what kind is it???............... by the way it's been in my tank well over 8months

Well if it inflates every day even if not fully it's doing ok(not best). Brains need moderate lighting. for how long has your Toadstool been blocking light? If the mouth is gasping open that is a bad thing but you say it's eating so l'm a bit confused. What about the rim, has it lost most of it's tissue, can you see the skeleton around the rim. Ususally it goes bad if the mouth is gone, what you might see next will be the tissue comming off it and dangling. This happened to me last time. But brains can also bounce back from looking like crap. As Toutouche said keep an eye on it. If the tissue starts comming appart take it out.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

this is what it looked liked in May

Ooops!! You were posting the pic while I posted my 1st reply!!

Hmmm??? Well, at first glance I would say someone scribbled on the brain and that is what is probably irritating it!!!

LOL

what are you feeding it? water flow? and how is your alk?
    brains like to eat and like low flow and need moderate light. also if your alk is to low it could affect it. this is my experience with these corals. yours looks pretty bad. it could come back but I doubt it.

What fish do you have?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast