Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NSW users and UV question.

Does anyone that is using NSW water, also use a UV expressly for whatever things can possibly come in with the water?
    Susan,
    I know you're using one on your new 300 gallon, but this I think is more because of the livestock you're keeping rather than preventative for the water itself, correct?
    Have you ever given thought to what might be in the NSW?
    Would you recommend using a UV on a full blown SPS reef using NSW water?

what is NSW???I still consider myself a newbie!!! I think i'll always be a newbie in this hobbie
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

NSW = Natural Sea Water. I use NSW and do not us a UV filter.

All public aquariums that use natural salt water filter the heck out of it and UV it before it goes into their systems. They however are also in warmer climates where the ocean water is pretty much the same temp as the aquariums they manage. It "may" not be an issue given that our local water is "maybe" too cold to harbor the warm water pests that affect our fish .
    Rob

Rob,
    What about warmer climates where the ocean "is" the same temp as our tanks? Would you recommend it then?

Montreal doesn't count as a "warmer climate", BTW. And the water in the St. Laurence and Ottawa Rivers ... well, that isn't salt you are seeing in there. ;-)

Unless you are hoping to add live phytoplankton from the ocean, it is probably a good idea to cycle new water through UV to kill off anything you might not want, before adding it to a closed system.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yes if the natural water source is the same temp range as that of you aquarium you would be VERY wise to filter and UV that water before it goes in to your tank. Otherwise it is no different then adding stock without a QT period. Your number will come up, and you will have an issue.
    Rob

I've used NSW since I set up my tank with no UV. I collect my water from the Bay of Fundy at a point of the shoreline that is not populated heavily for miles. I wont collect from the coves where the water doesnt get circulated much! We've got the highest recorded tides in the world so the water on open shoreline is pretty clean, I havent had any problems but am I playing Russian Rolette, I might be! My water sits in the dark with circulation for a week then I bring it up to temps good enuf for the tank!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Be careful with UV filters!!!! I had one (turbo twister) and after a year the o ring was shot and I almost got electricuted-the water had so much current going through it! And it was the last thing I unplugged before finding out the problem! putting your hand in electrofied water is not fun! I have the same results if not better without a UV. Water changes and proper maintenance are just as effective!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Sorry heniochus18 but water changes will not destroy bacteria or parasites if they are present in your system.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast