Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liverock price increase ?

I was at the LFS today where i heard one of the best comments in a long time... He said something along the lines of "we cant carry liverock for a long time now because it was all destroyed in the tsunami and i expect a very huge price increase"

had to share that one....
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

I heard the same in ottawa.. aswell as fish/inverts going way up in price..

I suspect that anything they had in holding tanks would have been destroyed. Price increases could be to help replace buildings, tanks and equipment. Still, not all our tank critters come from areas hit by the tsunami. Wholesalers could buy elsewhere but then that would increase demand which will probably also increase price. It will be interesting to see how many retailers take advantage of this though. I know a wholesaler, I'll have to see what I can find out from him.
    Susan

keep us posted on this Flame!!

I think LR was overpriced to start of with. I mean 2000$ to fill up a tank of a couple square feet is alot of money. But now I need a bit more to fill up mu fuge.

Cool

also, the practise of using strictly liverock is slowly getting the boot! its not neccesary and not good for the reefs. I'm just really suprized that someone hasn't taken up the torch to make and sell DIY rocks. Its a venture worth looking into.

you dont have to go all live rock either..there is some nice base rocks around and you put your live rocks over it...you dont yee the base rocks any way..eventually i becomes live and i dont see the point of going on an all live rock tank
    Derik...

I talked to marinescape about this.. and they said that prices shouldn't climb. especially on fish.. their supplier of liverock just sent of 1200# of lr to them this past week.. a mix of fuji, and Indo rock with no increase..

He said that its like Computer memory.. When they want to make more money they say that they shut down a factory and the price of ram shoots back up.. but he doesn't see this happening.. there are alot of farms and alot of livestock to be had..

Well, I was just passing by one of the LFS's I frequent this morning, and they had received a shipment from Sri Lanka. I was talking to the guy who always does the ordering and he said nothing has gone up in price at all as far as livestock because nothing was touched/affected in the waters. What HAS gone up though is the shipping!! They need the money to rebuild onland.

Destroyed reefs = more liverock.

If anything we should see a sharp decrease in price!

Although I have a feeling the prices in this business never reflect supply/demand and there are fat middle men making all the profits.

No offense to any fat middle men reading this!
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast