Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Montipora problem...

I recently added a brown whorled montipora to my tank and it looks to have a bit of an algae issue. I have it placed in an area of high random current near the surface under approx 200W PC. Im just not sure if this is a stage that a newly intoduced specimen would go through. Any suggestions?

I think we need a pic and/or a more detailed description of the problem.
    Also calcium, alk, ph levels as well as water change regimen, type of water used and use, if any, of additives.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I'll have to get back to you on most of that, since the montipora has only been in the tank for just over a week, and I'm a little behind on my testing this week. Last test though alk 9dkh cal 420 ph 8.3. I have no reason to believe though that this has changed at all since in the 8 months that the tank has been running these levels had been kept constant. Each week I add 10mL Kent Stontium/Molybdenum and Kent Tech A/B as required. As for other additives I've never been able to find conclusive info about which would be best to use.
    I pull about 1L of water/waste from my skimmer a week and top up about 3-4L R/O water per week. Last actual water change was about a month ago when I redid my sump and it was about 10%. Salinity sticks at about 1.025, temp 80. Thats that best I can offer for info at this moment, I will do my testing tomorrow after work and post then.

Cool

2 things, do you have a latin name or another common name for that sps?? I've never heard of that. also, your lighting is not strong enough for most SPS corals.

John,
    It's probably a regular Monti Cap. some people call them "whorled" because of the way they make the layers ( turning like a thread of a screw).

Steve,
    We'll need a pic or more precise description of what you mean as Reefmutt mentioned.

Here is a pic of the problem. Water tests as follows,
    ph 8.1, dkh 6.7, ammonia 0.1, nitrite 0, calcium 480, temp 81, salinity, 1.026. I realize a couple of these values are off and I am working on fixing the problems. But would these cause this issue on the montipora?

Lighting in tank, 390w PC, tank is turning over at about 12x.
    Tank gets a little warm because of the lighting during the spring and fall when the A/C isnt running, but usually will not go above 82.

Steve,
    It looks like the skin of the Monti had died off and receded where the algae is growing.
    Your Alk is waaay too low. Montiporas, whether branching or plating are very sensitive to these fluctuations and often the first corals to show signs of distress in the tank from this.
    Another problem is because of their "cupping" shape, detritus of settles in and helps in the dieing of the tissue.
    Lastly, while these corals will survuve under lower lighting, they do better with a stronger type and I would say with just the PC lights, the coral is "just getting by". The stronger the lighting, the faster/better it will grow and the nicer the color will be.

Thanks for the info...I have corrected the alkalinity issue, and I do have alternating powerheads directed at the cap, setup on my reefkeeper. I think I have enough flow across it to keep the detrius/algae in check. I know what you mean about the lighting, I just thought I'd give it a try since its one of the only SPS corals listed as needing strong lighting as opposed to intense lighting.

Maybe you could answer this for me...would it be more beneficial to change my lighting to the Coralife Aqualight Pro, utilizing 2x150w double ended 10k halides with 2x96w PC Actinics?
    I have seen these lights on another 90G and the light intensity is considerably more than what I have now, but i wonder what is the difference between 300w MH and 300w PC with respect to coral health, obviously to us it looks brighter, but its still the same wattage.

First, I agree with Touty Toot completely. the alk is the major problem- I'd also suggest a good water change to lower the calcium level a little ( to the 420 range) before raising tha alk- and raise it over the course of a week- to be safe. Corals don't take too kindly to rapid fluctuations in alkalinity.
    second, I have to say (and I'm sorry to be a downer- I MAY be wrong) but I think that monti is a gonner. I don't see very much flesh left on it..
    third, the mh lighting has the ability to punch deeper into the water and therefore will give more intensity at depth. 300w mh will be better than 300w pc. However, why not use both set ups? Have the pc come on first for dusk and dawn lighting and have the mh come on in the middle for 'noonday sun' lighting. Then you'll have butt kicking lighting!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well just picked up a Coralife AquaPro fixture w2x150w 10K MH and 2x96w PC Acticics. Hopefully it was the right choice. All my LPS seem to love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast