Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another gorgonian Q

just came across what looks to be purple ribbon gorg.
    Pterogorgia sp. at a good price at lfs.I know it is photosynthetic but after reding diferent articles not sure is it is
    one of easyer gorgs to keep.any input?
    thanks
    It's not a hobby,it's an obsession.

Does it look like this?

http://www.islandreefs.com/Coraldesc...0gorgonian.htm

I have this one and it is doing well! I've only had it a few weeks. It shed it's skin just the other day and that is a sign that it is doing well! Polyps haven't opened yet but again this is suppose to be normal till it sheds. It should open any day now!! (fingers crossed!)
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

thats to one

Here's the link to the thread I started! It's not much but it's a start!

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...=new+additions

Also Toutouche gave me some good info on them as well! Iwill see if I still have it!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Sokol,
    This is one of the "easy to keep" Gorgs. As long as it's placed correctly. These Gorgs grow attached to a rock in the wild and always growing upwards like a tree. They grow out in the open sandy areas where the water flows all around it. In your aquarium, you should anchor it to a piece of rock and bury the rock just below the surface, while not burying the base of the Gorg. It doen's really matter if some of the rock shows.., more natural looking anyways. Make sure it can sway in "random" current and not brush against any rock that will abrade it's skin. It's needs enough current to help shed it's mucous tunic when one is produced and to help bring it some food. although it can survive quite well on light mostly. As anything, photosynthetic, it also gains from filterfeedinging too.

Tracie,
    When it sheds, it's polyps should be out right afterwards normally and not a day or two later.

thanks,
    I have read that they close for days prior to sheding.
    the one that I was looking at in the store is not attached to rock. Do you let them attach by them self to rock or you use
    epoxy.

Yes, they will shut down the polyps first prior to forming the mucous tunic.

Glue it down to the rock with crazy glue. Epoxy is no good because you have to mold the epoxy around the base in order for it to hold and in doing so, it would kill of the areas that get covered. It's very important that the base stays healthy and alive in order to support itslef. Just add a nice healthy blob of glue on the underneath and squish it to the rock.

"Glue it down to the rock with crazy glue."
    plain old crazy glue !?

LOCTITE or ZAPGEL. will work. the LOCTITE is at every HD and CT stores.

As John said... Crazy glues are a Cyanoacrylate based type of glue and is safe for your tank. it is the same type of glue hospitals now use instead of stitches sometimes..., albeit it doesn't mention on their packaging that it is crazy glue of safe for aquariums. If you want to be sure, check the small print on the packaging because all of these that are indeed cyanoacrylate, mention it somehwere. Make sure you get the "gel" version of the Loctite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast