Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over flow w/sump

What is the deal...do you need a sump really or can you just use a skimmer.Is it all preference on the individual?Or is it the larger the tank then you need an overflow w/sump?
    Bubbles....bubbles...my bubbles....

drilled tank = more water [sump] =more stabability of water parms=no heaters in tank=skimmer in sump so micro bubbles are not in the tank=surface skimming of oils and protiens etc that will go down the drain first and many many more reasons

There are several advantages to having a sump:
    - place to put the heaters and protein skimmer (assuming an in-tank skimmer)
    - main tank looks nicer without all the extra gear
    - place to add calcium etc.
    - adds water volume to your overall setup...the more water, the more stable
    - work done on the tank is done in the sump..thus keeping 'your hands' out of the main tank.
    I'm sure there are more advantages.

This of-course is my opinion. You can have a tank without a sump. I have a 20g at work that does not have a sump or a skimmer either. My 150g at home difinitely has a sump! :-)
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

There are people running 2 gal Nano tanks with 10 gal sumps.

There are people running 200 gal tanks with no sumps.

There are a lot of really decent looking tanks with hang on accessories and in tank current generators.

The sump attracts cost: the tank, the holes, the plumbing, the extra room, etc.

But, it also brings a lot of benefits many listed above.

Strickly speaking, it is a choice. But, it is a choice a lot of people are making and the choice a lot of people who didn't initially are regretting.

You can drill and plug your new tank as a provision for a future sump to be added. It is a major effort to drill and add a sump after the main tank is setup. (You can use the syphon type overflow, but, these are less reliable and just as or more expensive).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I think it all comes down to what you want or have. I would not go through all the trouble of installing an overflow and sump to keep a pair of clowns and a few easy corals. I don't even think I would use a skimmer. But that all changes the moment you want to add more fish and corals. Harder to keep fish and corals will defenetly benefit from the added stability of the use of overflow and sump. Plus I love the fact that evaporation leaves from the sump so my main tank is always full.

Well I am going to a bigger tank and will be adding more fish and livestock flycut I just was trying to get info before I do the set up of the larger tank .So If I decide to go with the sump I think it would be better to have an empty tank to do all the drilling.Thanks for all the info and I am gonna look into the DIY pages on the forum and look to see what all I will need and start gathering my stock for the job.

Yeah go for the overflow and sump. No regrets of doing so on my part. How big of a tank are you setting up.

77 for now and looking at buying another maybe a 90

well I mean is I have a 44 tall right now and buying a 77 from someone on 5 march and then moving to edmonton and looking at buying another tank(90)

The 77 would make a nice sump for the 90. ;-)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast