Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone dose Vodka?

I have read a long thread on RC about vodka reducing nitrates but to protect their interest they decided not to publish the study. Has anyone tried this method before?

How straight do the fish swim after that? :biglaugh2
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

As funny as this might seem, it works in over 50% of cases. But it would be funny to see a drunken fish....Imagine one that had a bit too much to drink.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Those fish swim upside down. Well, they kind of float upside down.

Dipping fish in alcohol is considered a "humane" way to kill fish.

I can only assume that the dosage of Vodka is very low, but, ...
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

some people dose up to 13 ml/day. It is stated that the proper way to do is to start the dose with .5-1ml for 5-7 days and test the water every day and gradually bring up the dose till your nitrates and phosphates stop dropping. Go to RC and you can read the 30 page thread.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Some things are just fads or "short term" fixes and not always good.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/eb/index.htm

They are very biased in this article Gerg. They have their own methods of viewing things. It worked for many people in fact over 50% have had success.Did you read the 30p thread. And the people who did not have success started dosing the wrong way. Apparently the research is or will be published on another web site. Do you know where i can see the research

Mike,
    yes I read the thread. This topic came up a few times every now anf then. IMO, it's like the Zeovit method, there is someone I know personally who was also in the hobby who was close with a marine biologist in Germany. This biologist was the one who wrote articles and did lab quality tests about the Zeovit when it first came out and then later on after it had been used awhile by people. What was noticed was for marketing sake, the bad things that happened were always swept under the carpet more or less and the good things were raved about a lot. Sure, it works for some people, but often it will also cause a downward spiral for the tank. Same thing with the methanol way.
    Of course.., it's just my opinion, but I would say it's better to"find & fix" the problem rather than pouring in a liquid bandaid all the time. I'd much rather mix myself a nice martini.., dry.. and enjoy it by sipping and looking at my tank.

LOL, i like your last phrase. I am unable to find simple way to remove my nitrates of my tank. All of the solutions have good sides and bad sides. Nothing to me is clear on this one. I really dont get on how people have 0 nitrates and how they keep this up.

How can the Vodka method be for marketing purposes? The only one who will profit is the SAQ.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast