Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best way to transfer tank contents

My new 180 gallon is finally setup. It has been running for almost three weeks with some base rock I purchased and a few LR pieces from my existing 90 gallon tank. I dropped some carbon in the sump to filter out any chemicals lingering from the plumbing setup.

I am contemplating a few options for transfering the contents of my 1 year old 90 gallon tank. The 90 has about 100lbs of LR, some SPS, some softies and LPS's, and a half dozen fish.

Option 1) Perform period water changes every two to three weeks on the 90 gallon by dumping the water into the 180 gallon. A few months down the line, slowly start transfering the LR and a few corals at time.

Option 2) Transfer all the contents at once including as much of the water as possible. Dump all the old sand into the refugium.

Option 3) Perform periodic mixtures of the water content between the two tanks. Every couple of weeks take thirty gallons from the 90 gallon and transfer it to the 180 and then transfer it back to the 90. My intent is to balance both systems so that I can eventually just transfer over the contents without shocking the livestock.

Let me know what you think and what your experiences have been in this regard.

Much appreciated.

When I moved my fish and cycled sump from my 30 gallon QT to my 225 gallon set up I acclimated the 30 gallon to the 225 by switching off between the two tanks 1 liter of water every 30 to 45 minutes. I started by adding 1 liter of the new tanks water to the QT and then waited about 40 minutes. Then I removed 1 liter of the QT water and added it to the 225. I would then replace that water in the QT from the 225 right away. After doing this all day the water in both setups was pretty much the same. I then put the fish into the 225 gallon tank and moved the filter to its new location. It worked fine for me.
    Rob

Sounds like you prefer option 3) which tries to balance both tanks prior to moving the contents. I was leaning toward this option as well to try and bring over as much of what's good from my old tank (90 gallon) as well as make the transition as seamless as possible for the livestock. The only drawback I can see is that I would also be bring over what's bad from my old tank. Not that there is anything seriously wrong with my old tank.

Thanks OSD.

Is there anyone else with a good or bad experience or even just good advice to share?

I just did the option 2 system when i transfered my 72gal to my 187. I filled up the 187 with all freshly mixed water (maybe about 20 gallons of my old tank water to "seed" the new tank with bacteria) and i added some of my live rock to make the new tank live, i let it run for about a month, then added all the livestock in. i didnt have a cycle because all my live rock came across with all the livestock (or before) so i had the same bio-load, same bio-filtration, in just a larger water volume, so if anything, it was lighter on the system. bottom line, i found it to be the easiest way (rather than moving water back and forth) and it worked without any losses. everyone probably enjoyed the fresh air (or water rather) after the transfer.
    Albert
    My Photos

Good points Alpha. I was following the same kind of approach but I starting getting a little worried that my new tank would go through a new tank syndrome soon after I would move everything over.

So you didn't experience any cycling or algae blooms?

nada.
    and i run skimmerless.
    Albert
    My Photos

I think you can do this ether way Pickoff. Once the water in the new setup has aged a little you could simple treat all you existing stock as newly acquired and add it to the new tank as if brought home from the fish store. Myself I do prefer the acclimating method but both would and do work. IMO if you are going to treat the existing stock like fresh purchases it "should" be acclimated to the new tanks water and doing that is much more of a hassle then moving water back and forth on a day when your home anyway. I would not just drop it in. IMO that is risky
    Rob

I got an idea but its feasibility would depend on how close the tanks are together and what equipment you got. If the tanks are close together why not try and operate it all as one system. By this I mean put a pump (or powerhead) in each tank and cycle the water between the tanks, but obviously this would have to be done very very slowly so to not shock anything. For examply I have an eheim 2224 which could easy be used to pump the water, I would just need something to slow down the water transfer. From the higher tank to the lower tank you could just syphon the water with a small hose. Once the tanks are fully mixed, slowly move over rock, then corals, then you can actually catch your fish.

I dunno its just idea. These things always seem a lot simpler in my mind, then I go and do it and get totally lost.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Cmarty01 .. that is more or less the idea with water switch offs between the two tanks. Your idea of setting up a SLOW pump and a second return line is GOOD but there are risks involved. The biggest risk is that if both tanks do not have their tops at the same height there could be a flood. Then theres the distance between the tanks to consider as well.
    Rob

I was lucky enough to have both my tanks in the same room when I moved from the old to the new. I started with all new CC and water. Then over the course of a few weeks I moved LR and LS/CC from the old to the new. I also took 5 gals of water from the old and moved it to the new. Once I was sure the new setup was not going to do a full cycle I moved all the contents over. Nary a loss!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast